Position: Special Education Coordinator/Teacher
Exemption Status: Exempt/Professional
Reports to: Headmaster
Dept. /School: Great Hearts Live Oak Upper School; San Antonio, Texas
To coordinate and provide educational services to students with disabilities, responsible for planning, developing, delivering and evaluating appropriate individualized educational services, learning programs and instruction in both self- contained and integrated settings in consultation with other school personnel.
· Bachelor’s degree from accredited university; Master’s degree preferred
· Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements or training for subject and level assigned (preferred)
· Demonstrated competency in the core academic subject area(s) assigned
· Valid Texas Special Education certification
· Ability to prepare appropriate individualized education programs (IEP’s)
· Knowledge of core academic subject assigned knowledge of curriculum and instruction
· Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
· Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
· Knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations and policies affecting special education
· Knowledge of current special education practices and methodologies
· Knowledge of educational technology applications
· Experience: 1 year of successful Special Education teaching experience in a K-12 school (preferred)
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Ensure that the ARD/IEP process and the quality of programs for students with disabilities are in compliance with Federal, State, and Local requirements
Manage IEP caseload, including generating IEP’s and facilitating ARD meetings for caseload
· Communicate with all stakeholders for caseload (parents, general education teachers, special education assistants)
· Support the Campus Special Education Coordinator in completing referral packets
· Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations/modifications for differences in individual student differences.
· Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the needs of students’ assigned and present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
· Conduct formal/informal assessments of assigned students and use results to plan instructional activities.
· Work cooperatively with general education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in the Individualized Education Program (IEP).
· Plan and assign work to instructional aide(s) and volunteer(s) and oversee completion.
Student Growth and Development
· Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
· Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned.
· Be a positive role model for students; support mission of the school district.
· Prepares all required paperwork for students Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meeting within timelines.
· Attends and participates in ARD meetings.
Classroom Management and Organization
· Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
· Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising, and assessing behavioral patterns and when necessary develop and implementing a behavior intervention plan based upon results of the functional behavior assessment in accordance with students’ IEPs.
· Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
· Assist in selecting books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
· Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
· Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student.
· Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
· Assist parents with understanding and supporting educational objectives, learning expectations and behavioral standards.
· Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences, progress reports and report cards.
· Professional Growth and Development
· Attend training geared towards growth as Special Education Coordinator
· Participate in other staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
· Comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
· Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
· Maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and trends.
Direct the work of assigned instructional aide(s).
Personal Qualities & Values:
With humility and curiosity, we seek to know more about our core purpose; seek to share (with each other and with others externally as an advocate); seek to live the mission ourselves with relentless pursuit and intrinsic motivation; seek to understand our work and how it serves the mission…which should result in getting the right stuff done with measurable results because we love actualization – not just the theory
The foundational element of having a servant’s heart is the acknowledgement of inherent dignity in their fellow human. Someone with a servant’s heart believes that their work is to promote the development of those around them and make it possible for others to be successful in serving the mission of the organization.
We believe our mission can only be accomplished through collaboration and receive true joy in being a part of something greater than ourselves; Each of us is one part of a whole, each with different roles, expertise and responsibilities; working together in synchronicity
Great Hearts offers a very competitive benefits package and overall compensation will be commensurate with talent, experience and education.
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.