POSITION: MATH INTERVENTIONIST
LOCATION: San Antonio, Irving, and Ft. Worth, TX
REPORTS TO: HEADMASTER
Great Hearts is a non-profit network of charter schools dedicated to improving education by developing excelling public K-12 schools. Our academies are substantially outperforming public and private schools in Arizona and Texas, proving that tuition-free schools can do a superb job of educating students if they are smaller, more efficient, and set higher expectations for all students through a core, classical liberal arts curriculum. We prepare our graduates for success in the best colleges and universities in the nation, but our main purpose is the formation of the soul, heart, and mind. We believe that the highest goal of education is to become good, intellectually and morally.
The Mathematics Interventionist is a highly qualified teacher of mathematics who works specifically with students who require strategic and intensive intervention. The focus of the interventionist is to develop a student-centered system of intervention that effectively works to close the achievement gap in mathematics. The goal of the interventionist is to ensure that the students are able to master grade level standards and curriculum by instructing students who have not met state mathematics standards.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Provides direct instruction to students identified as eligible for math services in individual, and/or small group settings. Creates a classroom environment and research-based program of study that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of scientifically based mathematics instruction specifically related to K-12 students. Uses a variety of manipulatives and hands-on activities to support content standards and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Effectively analyzes and uses data to implement intervention program. Conducts student assessments to identify those eligible for intervention services, to plan instruction, and/or to assist staff members in learning various assessment techniques. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Understands how to use technology for instructional planning, i.e. creating reports and using data to plan lessons. Uses identified needs to guide the learning process toward student achievement of district’s math content standards. Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units and projects using formal and informal assessment data obtained from students.
- Continuously monitors progress of students receiving intervention services, in order to adjust instructional practice and student grouping.
- Communicates and collaborates with classroom teachers regarding alignment between classroom instruction and interventions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Competencies and Strengths
The Math Interventionist position offers an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally and contribute meaningfully to a unique organization which is changing K-12 education in this country.
· Bachelor’s degree in math, education, or related field required
· 3 - 5 years of work experience, teaching K-12 students in mathematics (including Algebra I and Algebra II)
· Proven track record of instructing diverse learners, including English Language Learners and Special Education students, in the area of mathematics.
· Experience and training in administering assessments and analyzing data to drive instruction.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships
· Detailed-oriented with strong organization and time management skills
Personal Qualities and Values
Great Hearts values each of our team members as individuals and believes that we achieve the greatest results by working together. The candidate should enjoy being a team player.
The nine core virtues that we seek to model and instill in our students are:
- Responsibility. We accept obligations and we act on those obligations in a manner suitable to their timely and satisfactory fulfillment. We are willingly accountable for what we do and say, and we seek to learn from our mistakes.
- Perseverance and Courage. We spurn despair and strive to complete tasks to the best of our abilities, regardless of the difficulty. We respond creatively to overcome obstacles and ask for help when necessary.
- Integrity and Honesty. We are individuals of strong ethical values, who make consistently good choices in keeping with our knowledge of right and wrong. We are always truthful in what we say and do, regardless of the circumstances or consequences.
- Citizenship and Humility. We give of our time and abilities to serve others. We uphold liberty and social equality through respect for individual differences and always strive to do our best whether we are recognized or not.
- Friendship. We regard others and ourselves as deserving of kind and just treatment. Our conduct is considerate and polite. We look for the good in others and demonstrate compassion. Our attitudes toward others reflect the way we wish to be treated.
- Wisdom. We learn from our mistakes and think before we act. We look to each other and our past successes for guidance on making good choices.
Great Hearts offers a very competitive benefits package and overall compensation will be commensurate with talent, experience and education.