POSITION: ESL COORDINATOR / TEACHER (2020-2021 Academic Year)
REPORTS TO: HEADMASTER
Status: Full-time, benefits-eligible
Great Hearts Texas is a non-profit network of charter schools dedicated to improving education by developing excelling public prep schools. Great Hearts is expanding into Texas after years of success in Arizona. Great Hearts’ academies are substantially outperforming other public and private schools, proving that tuition-free schools can do a superb job of educating students if they are smaller, more efficient, and set higher expectations for all students through a core, classical liberal arts curriculum. We gladly prepare our graduates for success in the best colleges and universities in the nation, but our main purpose is the formation of the soul, heart, and mind. We believe that the highest goal of education is to become good, intellectually and morally. The success of Great Hearts is based on combining an unwavering commitment to classical liberal arts education with the understanding that our schools can constantly be improved through sound, data-driven leadership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement procedures and coordinate the process to identify bilingual/ESL students at all grade levels, including review of student data and testing of students.
- Develop and revise bilingual and ESL curriculum as needed.
- Assist teachers to develop and provide bilingual and ESL students with appropriate course work through curriculum modification, accelerations, etc.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of the bilingual and ESL programs and implement changes based on the findings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provide resources and materials to support staff in accomplishing program goals.
- Consult with parents, administrators, counselors, teachers, community agencies, and other relevant individuals regarding bilingual and ESL students.
- Plan and conduct parent meetings, including parent advisory committee meetings.
Budget and Inventory
- Compile budget and cost estimates based on documented program needs.
- Assist with the selection and purchase of supplemental equipment and supplies for the program.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other required documents.
- Train campus personnel and oversee LPAC meetings and paperwork.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and the local board policy.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Texas Bilingual Spanish Endorsement or ESL certificate for K - 12
- Two or more years of teaching experience preferred
- Experience as an ESL teacher or coordinator preferred
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND VALUES
We value each of our team members as individuals and believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. The candidate should enjoy being a team player. A vibrant shared services center, and the competitive aspiration, well-being, and camaraderie of our employees, is an essential complement to our academic communities.
The nine core virtues that we seek to model and instill in our students are:
- Responsibility. We accept obligations and we act on those obligations in a manner suitable to their timely and satisfactory fulfillment. We are willingly accountable for what we do and say, and we seek to learn from our mistakes.
- Perseverance and Courage. We spurn despair and strive to complete tasks to the best of our abilities, regardless of the difficulty. We respond creatively to overcome obstacles and ask for help when necessary
- Integrity and Honesty. We are individuals of strong ethical values, who make consistently good choices in keeping with our knowledge of right and wrong. We are always truthful in what we say and do, regardless of the circumstances or consequences.
- Citizenship and Humility. We give of our time and abilities to serve others. We uphold liberty and social equality through respect for individual differences and always strive to do our best whether we are recognized or not.
- Friendship. We regard others and ourselves as deserving of kind and just treatment. Our conduct is considerate and polite. We look for the good in others and demonstrate compassion. Our attitudes toward others reflect the way we wish to be treated.
- Wisdom. We learn from our mistakes and think before we act. We look to each other and our past successes for guidance on making good choices.
Great Hearts offers a very competitive benefits package and overall compensation will commensurate with talent, experience and education.
Great Hearts Texas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.