POSITION: Online Teacher
LOCATION: San Antonio, Fort Worth, or Irving (Texas) and Phoenix (Arizona)
REPORTS TO: Headmaster – Great Hearts Online
FLSA STATUS: Full time, Non-Exempt
All items below apply to full-time and part-time teachers, unless otherwise indicated. The Headmaster/designate is the direct supervisor of each teacher/faculty member. Great Hearts and Academy administration may modify, assign, or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time, for any reason.
JOB SPECIFICATION POSITION: Teacher
LOCATION: Online environment – teachers work from home space
REPORTS TO: Great Hearts Online Headmaster or Assistant Headmaster
EEO Classification: Professionals
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
JOB CODE: 003
Teachers are the most important daily leaders and shapers of intellectual and ethical culture on our campuses. Every teacher is a role model and must always act and speak as one.
Great Hearts Online faculty will design and develop best-in-class, classical virtual courses and become expert online facilitators of instruction, discourse, and community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create an educational experience that will feel safe for all students to learn and reach their fullest potential.
- Create thoughtful and well-planned lessons, adhering to the curriculum, across synchronous and asynchronous environments with clear, intentional connections to independent work and rigorous assignments
- Record, edit, and post video course material
- Provide timely and meaningful evaluation/correction of student work (quick return is critical in the online setting)
- Timely response to student questions posted online
- Engage students utilizing the Socratic method.
- Lead students through intelligence, charisma, humor, moral integrity, and example.
- Fully embrace the school's vision of community, of learning, and of leadership.
- Perform additional assigned campus duties.
- Read, know, and support the philosophy, policies, procedures, and other pertinent data of the school as published in the Faculty Handbook and most current Family Handbook.
- Provide reasonable assistance to those students in need of individual help and assist students to make-up work after approved absences.
- Communicate regularly and as needed with parents and respond to parental inquiries by the end of the next school day.
- Attend virtual events that may occur outside of normal hours. Events may include (but are not limited to): Open Houses, special school events and staff meetings.
- Attend all Great Hearts professional development opportunities and participate in faculty development.
- Support and enforce the school dress and behavior codes and makes reasonable efforts to promote the orderly behavior of all students.
- Keep accurate records and makes reports as required by the Headmaster.
- Evaluate and document the student’s day-to-day work, prepare the quarter report, and prepare and participate in the formal semester evaluation and conference.
- Attend and participate in review meetings with the Headmaster and/or Assistant Headmaster.
- Be an active member of the community of learners and continues to pursue his or her own professional growth and development.
- Pursue excellence in teaching and continues to develop his or her own knowledge of the great ideas and works of Western Civilization.
- Maintain regular consistent and professional attendance, punctuality, personal appearance, and adherence to relevant health and safety procedures.
- Maintain positive supervision and an orderly online classroom.
Profile of an ideal Great Hearts Online faculty member:
- You hold a deep love for your students and their formation as learning and people
- You love your academic content, and your sense of wonder and depth of inquiry is contagious
- You admire and appreciate the classical, liberal arts tradition of education
- You believe that your job is to ensure students learn and master the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors
- You actively reflect, learn, and strive to close the gap between “I taught it” and “students learned it”
- You are genuinely enthusiastic and optimistic about online education and yearn for this job as the next step in your professional journey
- You are an avid learner and a strong team-member
Competencies & Strengths Education/Experience:
- Teachers must be highly qualified in the subjects they teach.
- We will prioritize experience with Great Hearts Academies
Licenses or Certifications
- Certification is not required to teach at any of the Great Hearts Academies. Great Hearts teachers, whether certified or not, demonstrate a commitment to and love for the liberal arts. However, certification and additional required credentials is required for Special Education, English Language Learner, 504/RTI, and Dyslexia faculty.
- Fingerprint Clearance: Shall have a valid IVP fingerprint clearance card.
- Must be clearly spoken for students to hear and understand.
- Must maintain a professional appearance and be able to sit for long hours working on a computer.
- Must maintain a professional virtual work environment, free of distraction.
- Must have stable, high speed internet
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer