POSITION: Great Hearts Arizona – Distance Learning: Lead Teacher (K-5) and Specialists
REPORTS TO: Academy Headmaster
Distance Learning Lead Teacher:
Our distance learning teachers will serve two groups of 30-45 students from Archways across the network in two synchronous sessions each day. The two hours will consist of instruction and/or guided practice in ELA and Math on Monday-Thursday, and Science and History on Friday. This remote position is for the entirety of the second semester and Great Hearts employees’ positions at their current school will be held for them for the 2021-2022 school year.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create an educational experience that will feel safe for all students to learn and reach their fullest potential.
- Create thoughtful and well-planned lessons, adhering to the curriculum, across synchronous and asynchronous environments with clear, intentional connections to independent work and rigorous assignments
- Record, edit, and post video course material
- Provide timely and meaningful evaluation/correction of student work (quick return is critical in the online setting)
- Timely response to student questions posted online
- Engage students utilizing the Socratic method.
- Lead students through intelligence, charisma, humor, moral integrity, and example.
- Fully embrace the school's vision of community, of learning, and of leadership.
- Perform additional assigned campus duties.
- Read, know, and support the philosophy, policies, procedures, and other pertinent data of the school as published in the Faculty Handbook and most current Family Handbook.
- Provide reasonable assistance to those students in need of individual help and assist students to make-up work after approved absences.
- Communicate regularly and as needed with parents and respond to parental inquiries by the end of the next school day.
- Attend virtual events that may occur outside of normal hours. Events may include (but are not limited to): Open Houses, special school events and staff meetings.
- Attend all Great Hearts professional development opportunities and participate in faculty development.
- Support and enforce the school dress and behavior codes and makes reasonable efforts to promote the orderly behavior of all students.
- Keep accurate records and makes reports as required by the Headmaster.
- Evaluate and document the student’s day-to-day work, prepare the quarter report, and prepare and participate in the formal semester evaluation and conference.
- Attend and participate in review meetings with the Headmaster and/or Assistant Headmaster.
- Be an active member of the community of learners and continues to pursue his or her own professional growth and development.
- Pursue excellence in teaching and continues to develop his or her own knowledge of the great ideas and works of Western Civilization.
- Maintain regular consistent and professional attendance, punctuality, personal appearance, and adherence to relevant health and safety procedures.
- Maintain positive supervision and an orderly online classroom.
Profile of an ideal Great Hearts Online faculty member:
- You hold a deep love for your students and their formation as learning and people
- You love your academic content, and your sense of wonder and depth of inquiry is contagious
- You admire and appreciate the classical, liberal arts tradition of education
- You believe that your job is to ensure students learn and master the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors
- You actively reflect, learn, and strive to close the gap between “I taught it” and “students learned it”
- You are genuinely enthusiastic and optimistic about online education and yearn for this job as the next step in your professional journey
- You are an avid learner and a strong team-member
Competencies & Strengths Education/Experience:
- Teachers must be highly qualified in the subjects they teach.
- We will prioritize experience with Great Hearts Academies
Licenses or Certifications
- Certification is not required to teach at any of the Great Hearts Academies. Great Hearts teachers, whether certified or not, demonstrate a commitment to and love for the liberal arts. However, certification and additional required credentials is required for Special Education, English Language Learner, 504/RTI, and Dyslexia faculty.
- Fingerprint Clearance: Shall have a valid Arizona Department of Public Safety IVP fingerprint clearance card.
- Must be clearly spoken for students to hear and understand.
- Must maintain a professional appearance and be able to sit for long hours working on a computer.
- Must maintain a professional virtual work environment, free of distraction.
- Must have stable, high speed internet
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer