POSITION: Dean of Students
LOCATION: Great Hearts Lakeside, Fort Worth, TX
REPORTS TO: Headmaster
FLSA STATUS: Full time, Non-Exempt
The Dean of Students position is responsible for assisting the school headmaster and assistant headmaster in the leadership, coordination, supervision and management of the school program and operation. The position requires a thorough knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in the administration and supervision of all programs in a school; skill in oral and written communications; ability to motivate others to reach their fullest potential; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, parents, students, teachers, support staff and associates.
Great Hearts Academies is a non-profit charter management organization (CMO) that operates classical, preparatory, K-12 public charter schools. Our academies cultivate the minds and hearts of students through the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. We currently serve over 20,000 students across in both Texas and Arizona, with over 3,500 at our 10 Texas schools, and we expect that number to grow to thousands more. Additional information can be found at www.greatheartsamerica.org/careers.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Assist the school administration in developing and maintaining an effective educational program consistent with State and Federal guidelines and the philosophy, policies and goals of Great Hearts; meeting and conferring with students, parents, faculty and staff; maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
- Assist the school leadership in the overall administration of the school; interpret and enforce school and school division policies and regulations.
- Support the administration in the collaborative development, implementation, and ongoing refinement of the school’s Continuous Improvement Plan.
- Ensure implementation of the Great Hearts curriculum.
- Assist the administration in monitoring compliance with federal, state, and local mandates and guidelines related to local and state testing programs and the local special education program.
- Assist the administration in planning and implementing a professional development/growth program for teachers and staff.
- Propose schedules of classes and extracurricular activities; help schedule courses, students and teachers.
- Assist in maintaining discipline throughout the student body; deal with special cases as necessary.
- Serve with parents, faculty, and student groups, as requested, in advancing educational and related activities and objectives.
- Maintain a variety of files; prepare periodic and special reports as required.
- Identify the special needs of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of school system specialists as required.
- Supervise teachers and departments as assigned by the administration.
- Explain and interpret district curriculum/instructional goals and objectives to teachers, parents, students, and the community.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a systematic method of supervising the instructional program through the use of observations and feedback, coaching, documentations, and follow-up conferences.
- Assist teachers in evaluating methods and materials and developing effective learning plans and classroom management techniques.
- Maintain and model high standards of professionalism.
- Perform related work as required.
Education: BA required, MA preferred
Experience: Minimum of 3 years teaching or educational leadership experience.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer