(2022-2023) Great Hearts Online - Texas Operations Manager
Job Category: Academy - Support Staff (Office Manager, School Nurse, Librarian, etc.)
POSITION: Operations Manager
LOCATION: Texas; Preferred San Antonio or Irving area – Remote, CST Hours
DEPARTMENT: Great Hearts Online (Texas)
REPORTS TO: Headmaster of TX
FLSA: Salaried, exempt
Company Description: Great Hearts Academies is a non-profit charter management organization (CMO) that operates classical, preparatory, K-12 public charter schools. Our academies cultivate the minds and hearts of students through the pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty. We currently serve over 20,000 students in both Texas and Arizona, with around 7,000 students at our 10 Texas schools, and we expect that number to grow to thousands more, including 8,000 students at our campuses in San Antonio, alone. Great Hearts is dedicated to providing additional communities with access to our liberal arts model, and, as the network scales both locally and nationally, we aim to restore excellence to American public education. We proudly prepare students for success at the best colleges and universities in the nation, but see our larger purpose as producing great-hearted graduates that are prepared to be intellectual, moral and engaged citizens. Additional information can be found at www.greatheartsamerica.org/careers .
Position Summary: The Operations Manager is an important role within the Great Hearts Online operations team. The Operations Manager, under the direction of the Headmaster, will assist with the Academy day-to-day operations and logistical actions. In partnership with Great Hearts Online leadership and faculty, the Operations Manager will provide our Academy families exceptional customer service and perform job duties as outlined below.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Operations Manager will have roles and responsibilities aligned to the below. This individual will need to balance high-level strategy with nitty-gritty rolling up sleeves in a startup environment.
● Oversee and conduct all Academy ordering, inventory management, tracking, and shipping. Including the coordination with IT to perform any device setup.
● Track Academy finances: submit purchases for approval, record daily purchases to academy budget, present monthly reports to the GHO-TX Administrative Team to ensure fiscal health.
● Learn and understand all electronic systems and software related to job functions, including talent software, finance software, learning management system, and others.
● Create and manage student rosters and class schedules, including effective, efficient, and enjoyable processes for publishing and updating rosters and schedules.
● Oversee, implement, and manage the onboarding process for all faculty and administration.
● Answer and manage incoming calls. Responsible for forwarding calls to appropriate parties for resolution.
● Oversees the planning and execution of the yearly calendar of events and submit for approvals as needed.
● Update handbooks, establish operational strategies, submit to the board for approval and execute according to approved processes.
● Serve as the executive assistant to the Headmaster. Manage the Headmaster inbox, calendar, and communication.
● Works with Nova-level leadership and team members to coordinate school and Nova calendars.
● Assist with identifying, recruiting, interviewing, and hiring administrative and academic talent.
● Works with Great Hearts Texas teams, attending training, meetings and participating on teams where requested. This role is a link between GH Texas and GHO.
● Oversees the organization of community building events, including initial internal relations, work of parent volunteers, and management of grade-level Facebook pages. Will work with and support the Microschool community building events.
● As directed by the Headmaster, will assist with consistency and beauty in verbal and graphic design for school promotion material, new talent recruiting material, and school-wide communication.
● Oversee, implement, and manage the school’s weekly newsletter and major, all-school communication.
● Coordinate and implement Academy-wide communication.
● Issue grade-specific communication and parent-related events.
● Support the Enrollment team with external-facing and all-school events hosted by the Headmaster.
● Collect fees and issue receipts to parents for fees and activities.
● Act as a liaison for the Great Hearts Online leadership team to academy administration, faculty, and staff.
● Act as a liaison between the Parent Service Organization and Headmaster
● Schedule and organize tasks related to special events (some of which are outside the normal school day), including curriculum night, faculty in-services, parent-teacher conferences, study-skills workshop, commencement, virtual school tours, etc.)
● Maintain relationships with faculty and families.
● Create and oversee the grade-level academic deans in managing and implementing the academy substitute plan.
● Communicate and engage with families proactively and responsively with a positive tone, clear answers, and quick turnaround.
● Work directly with families for qualification of benefits such as “Free and Reduced Lunch.”
● Identify roadblocks and success for family recognition and solve problems/providing support.
● Foster a strong customer service focused team.
● Assist in all non-curricular, non-instructional, and non-disciplinary academy matters.
● Attend daily meetings, as scheduled, with school administration.
● Lead some administrative meetings each week as it pertains to this role’s leadership functions.
● Plan time off around the academic calendar, ensuring full availability during peak seasons.
● Directly supervise the SIS and Registrar positions in the school - ensuring those team members have the training and skills to perform their jobs and meet GHO targets.
Qualifications, Competencies, and Strengths
Education and Professional Experience:
● Bachelor’s Degree required
● At least 3 years of experience in operations, process improvement, project management, technical development, or a related field
● Highest level of trust and discretion.
● Experience with MS Office and PowerSchool
● Can work with executives and parents alike, comfortable in each setting to present, interact, and find creative solutions.
● Passionately committed to K-12 education, with a combination of technical knowledge, business acumen and interpersonal skills, but who also works well independently to achieve team goals.
● A track record of results in implementing processes and driving results.
● Must be able to manage multiple projects and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● Strong work ethic combined with a high level of professionalism focused on delivering results.
● Must always be committed to providing excellent customer service under all circumstances.
● Exceptional communications skills and the ability to build strong relationships and be a joyful problem-solver.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and honest approach to collaboration, communication, teams, and community.
● Consistent work ethic.
● Ability to travel up to 10% of time (during non-pandemic times)
● Must reside in Texas, preferably in the San Antonio, Irving or surrounding areas.
Type of clearance:
● Must complete Texas Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance and background check. Must also successfully complete the Breakthrough coach course in July.
● Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. Position does require the movement of shipments up to 50 pounds approximately.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the additional tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.