(2022-2023) Great Hearts Online - Arizona Operations Manager
Location: GH Arizona - Phoenix
Job Category: Academy - Support Staff (Office Manager, School Nurse, Librarian, etc.)
POSITION: Operations Manager
LOCATION: Arizona; Phoenix Metro Area - Remote
DEPARTMENT: Great Hearts Online (Arizona)
REPORTS TO: Headmaster of AZ
FLSA: Salaried, exempt
Company Description: Great Hearts Academies is a non-profit charter management organization (CMO) that operates classical, preparatory, K-12 public charter schools. Our academies cultivate the minds and hearts of students through the pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty. We currently serve over 20,000 students in both Texas and Arizona, with around 7,000 students at our 10 Texas schools, and we expect that number to grow to thousands more, including 8,000 students at our campuses in San Antonio, alone. Great Hearts is dedicated to providing additional communities with access to our liberal arts model, and, as the network scales both locally and nationally, we aim to restore excellence to American public education. We proudly prepare students for success at the best colleges and universities in the nation, but see our larger purpose as producing great-hearted graduates that are prepared to be intellectual, moral and engaged citizens. Additional information can be found at www.greatheartsamerica.org/careers .
Position Summary: The Operations Manager is an important role within the Great Hearts Online operations team. The Operations Manager, under the direction of the Headmaster, will assist with the Academy day-to-day operations and logistical actions. In partnership with Great Hearts Online leadership and faculty, the Operations Manager will provide our Academy families exceptional customer service and perform job duties as outlined below.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Operations Manager will have roles and responsibilities aligned to the below. This individual will need to balance high-level strategy with nitty-gritty rolling up sleeves in a startup environment.
● Oversee and conduct all Academy ordering, inventory management, tracking, and shipping. Including the coordination with IT to perform any device setup.
● Track Academy finances: submit purchases for approval, record daily purchases to academy budget, present monthly reports to the GHO-TX Administrative Team to ensure fiscal health.
● Learn and understand all electronic systems and software related to job functions, including talent software, finance software, learning management system, and others.
● Create and manage student rosters and class schedules, including effective, efficient, and enjoyable processes for publishing and updating rosters and schedules.
● Oversee, implement, and manage the onboarding process for all faculty and administration.
● Answer and manage incoming calls, forwarding calls to appropriate parties for resolution.
● Oversee the planning and execution of the yearly calendar of events and work with Nova-level leadership and team members to coordinate calendars.
● Update handbooks, establish operational strategies, submit to the board for approval and execute according to approved processes.
● Serve as the executive assistant to the Headmaster, managing the Headmaster inbox, calendar, and communication.
● Assist with identifying, recruiting, interviewing, and hiring academy talent.
● Work with Great Hearts Arizona teams, attending training, meetings and participating on teams where requested. This role is a link between GH Arizona and GHO.
● Fulfill all operations trainings and requirements for alignment with GH operations.
● Manage staff time-keeping records, attendance and time off requests and approvals.
● Oversee the organization of community building events, including internal relations, parent volunteers, and management of grade-level Facebook pages. Will support the Microschool community building events.
● As directed by the Headmaster:
o Assist with consistency and beauty in verbal and graphic design for school promotion material, and school-wide communication,
o Oversee and implement, weekly newsletter, community communications, and academy-wide communication,
o Issue grade-specific communication and organize parent-related events.
● Manage oversight of external-facing and all-school events hosted by the Headmaster.
● Collect fees and issue receipts to parents for fees and activities.
● Act as a liaison for the leadership team to academy administration, faculty, and staff.
● Schedule and organize tasks related to special events, including curriculum night, faculty in-services, parent-teacher conferences, workshops, commencement, virtual school tours, etc.
● Maintain positive relationships with faculty and families.
● In collaboration with grade-level academic deans, support the academy substitute plan.
● Engage with families proactively and responsively with a positive tone and clear answers.
● Identify roadblocks and success for family recognition and solve problems/providing support.
● Foster a strong customer service focused team.
● Assist in non-curricular, non-instructional, and non-disciplinary academy matters.
● Attend daily meetings, as scheduled, with school administration.
● Lead administrative meetings each week as it pertains to this role’s leadership functions.
● Will plan time off around the academic calendar, ensuring availability during peak seasons.
● Directly supervise the SIS and Registrar positions in the school - ensuring those team members have the training and skills to perform their jobs and meet GHO targets.
Qualifications, Competencies, and Strengths
Education and Professional Experience:
● Bachelor’s Degree required
● At least 3 years of experience in operations, process improvement, project management, technical development, or a related field
● A growth mindset, can-do positive attitude when faced with hurdles, and intellectual humility
● Highest level of trust and discretion.
● Experience with MS Office and PowerSchool
● Committed to providing excellent customer service - working with executives and parents alike, comfortable in each setting to present, interact, and find creative solutions.
● Passionately committed to K-12 education
● Must be able to manage multiple projects and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● Strong work ethic combined with a high level of professionalism focused on delivering results.
● Exceptional communications skills, builds strong relationships and is a joyful problem-solver.
● Excellent interpersonal skills with an honest approach to collaboration and community.
● Ability to travel up to 10% of time (during non-pandemic times)
● Must reside in the Phoenix Valley and be available to attend in-person events and functions.
Must complete Arizona Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance and background check. Must also successfully complete the Breakthrough coach course in July.
Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. Position does require the movement of shipments up to 50 pounds approximately.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the additional tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.