POSITION: Headmaster of Great Hearts Online – Texas (K-8)
TIMING: Start Date Immediate
LOCATION: Flexible; Work Hours in CST
DEPARTMENT: Great Hearts Online / Great Hearts Nova
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, GH Online
STATUS: Full-time, benefits eligible
Great Hearts is a nonprofit network of public charter schools dedicated to improving education nationwide through classical preparatory K–12 academies. A Great Hearts education prepares students to be more than just proficient test takers; rather, it prepares them to become great-hearted and virtuous leaders capable of success throughout their higher education and professional careers. With a curriculum built upon a character-centered, classical liberal arts tradition and a revolutionary approach to school itself, Great Hearts cultivates the hearts and minds of students through the pursuit of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. Great Hearts serves over 20,000 students in both Texas and Arizona.
Great Hearts Nova, from the Latin novus, is a new Great Hearts entity designing, building, growing, and scaling new educational models.
- On January 4th, 2021, Great Hearts Online launched across Texas, serving approximately 500 students.
- On August 13th, 2021, Great Hearts Online scaled to a public charter offering in Arizona serving over 600 students and a private offering in Texas serving over 100 students.
- In Fall 2021, we will pilot Great Hearts Microschools, another new educational model steeped in the Great Hearts purpose and culture.
- In future years, we will grow and scale nationally with multiple products (Great Hearts Online and Great Hearts Microschools) and multiple revenue streams (public funding, private tuition, ESA, Vouchers, etc).
We are recruiting for a Headmaster of a public charter Great Hearts Online – Texas academy which would, if legislation passes, cause for the shutting down of the ’21-22 GHO-Private offering and relaunching of a public charter GHO-Texas offering. Great Hearts Online’s demand and reputation in Texas is exceptional, and demand for the school is anticipated to be in the thousands. Great Hearts Online – Texas is likely to become the single largest school in Great Hearts in a matter of months.
We are seeking a full time Headmaster for GH Online - Texas. The Headmaster of GHO-TX will be charged with building and executing a classical virtual academy in grades K-8. This position will begin immediately pending legislative approval.
The Headmaster will report to Heidi Vasiloff serves as the Executive Director of Great Hearts Online, supporting and overseeing our Great Hearts Online academies in Texas and Arizona in ’21-22 and preparing for continued GHO growth in ’22-23. Mrs. Vasiloff served over five years as the Headmaster of GH Trivium Prep in Arizona, ending her tenure as a well decorated Senior Headmaster. She then served as the Founding Headmaster of Great Hearts Online, launching and leading our first classical virtual academy to significant parent satisfaction.
The ideal candidate is:
- Required: A classically trained liberal artist passionate about curriculum, pedagogy, and content
- Required: A proven school and change leader
- Required: A master instructional coach and teacher trainer
- Required: An authentic relationship builder
- Required: Eager to learn and grow in order to integrate the best of classical education with the best of modern education practices
- Required: Passionate about the opportunity that online education can provide to tens of thousands of students across the country
- Required: Fluent with modern software, technology tools, and online pedagogy (e.g., Outlook, Microsoft Office, Zoom, Google Drive, Social Media, Learning Management Systems, etc)
Duties and Responsibilities
Building Teams, Hiring People, People Leadership
- Hire leaders and faculty
- Define and clarify roles for unbundled Teacher roles and hire for specific competencies
- Build teams and structures to support work
- Manage and coach leadership team and create strong GHs culture
Align Scope/Sequence & Curriculum for GH Online and Build Exceptional Asynchronous Content
- In alignment with the Executive Director and in partnership with your GH Online – Arizona Headmaster colleague, align the scope and sequence of curriculum to share unit plans, lessons plans, and asynchronous content across states
- Own the high-quality production of asynchronous content for certain grade-levels and content areas as determined by the Executive Director
Lead Parent Communication and Engagement
- In partnership with the Senior Director of Growth, Family Success Coordinators, and Director of Academy Operations, implement communication tools and strategies for online school
- Create and execute an engaging communication strategy for parents
- Develop engaging two-way communication forums with parents
- Facilitate parent focus groups to continually learn about needs and requests (and therefore adjust)
Cultivate a GH School Culture in Alignment with our Mission
- Develop leaders in faculty in the things we love - classical texts, seminars, art and theater, etc
- Exude and model strong intellectual and moral virtue
- Create and shape a strong GH adult culture
Achieve the Results of a Best-in-Class GH Online Academy
- Shoulder the yoke of responsibility to achieve the results for your academy including:
- Academics / student learning
- Adult and student culture
- Parent satisfaction
- Exceptional student services
- Academy operations
- Fiscal accountability
- On-time and accurate compliance
Qualifications, Competencies, and Strengths
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Experience leading teams and managing adults required
- Proven experience as a leader of a classical, liberal arts school
- Preferred: 2 years experience as an online, digital learning, blended teacher / leader
- People Leadership: You are an exceptional leader of people; you coach and develop individuals from good to great; you coach and develop individuals from poor to good; you create clarity within roles and build the capacity of everyone around you.
- Curriculum & Pedagogical Leadership: Deep expertise in K-12 schools, curriculum, and pedagogy with a track record of developing teachers and leaders, forming students and faculty, and achieving spectacular results.
- Executive Leadership: Strong executive and strategic leadership including the ability to create, lead, motivate teams; track and manage complex projects and work; and influence others without formal authority.
- Model Virtuous Behavior: As an individual and leader, you live the values, beliefs, and virtues we espouse.
- How You Show Up:
- Strong work ethic combined with a high level of professionalism focused on delivering results
- Must always be committed to providing excellent customer service under all circumstances
- Exceptional communications skills and the ability to build strong relationships
- No-drama, face-to-face, and honest approach to collaboration, communication, teams, and community
- You consistently (100% of the time) do what you say you’re going to do.
- Ability to travel 20% of time (in non-pandemic times)
Type of clearance:
Must complete Texas Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance and background check.
Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. May be required to move or position equipment up to 50 pounds approximately.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the additional tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.