POSITION: District Testing Coordinator for Great Hearts Online
LOCATION: Texas/Arizona; San Antonio Preferred
DEPARTMENT: Great Hearts Nova
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Great Hearts Online / GHTX District Testing Coordinator
FLSA: Salaried, exempt
Great Hearts is a nonprofit network of public charter schools dedicated to improving education nationwide through classical preparatory K–12 academies. A Great Hearts education prepares students to be more than just proficient test takers; rather, it prepares them to become great-hearted and virtuous leaders capable of success throughout their higher education and professional careers. With a curriculum built upon a character-centered, classical liberal arts tradition and a revolutionary approach to school itself, Great Hearts cultivates the hearts and minds of students through the pursuit of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. Great Hearts serves over 20,000 students in both Texas and Arizona.
Great Hearts Nova, from the Latin novus, is a new Great Hearts entity designing, building, growing, and scaling new educational models.
- On January 4th, 2021, Great Hearts Online launched across Texas, serving approximately 500 students.
- On August 13th, 2021, Great Hearts Online scaled to a public charter offering in Arizona serving over 600 students and a private offering in Texas serving over 100 students.
- In Fall 2021, we will pilot Great Hearts Microschools, another new educational model steeped in the Great Hearts purpose and culture.
We seek a District Testing Coordinator for Great Hearts Online to create insights and shape direction for data-informed intervention and action, improve the processes for rostering students, train local test administrators, schedule testing sessions, report on testing progress and testing results for Great Hearts Online. We are looking for an individual who can instill confidence in the assessment process and who can lead the turn from testing to improved instruction. This candidate will train and assist GHO staff as they prepare and administer student assessments for Great Hearts Online across Texas and Arizona. Additionally, the DTC will communicate with teachers and parents as to the value and use of test data to Great Hearts Online. The DTC will be the primary contact for staff and teachers who have questions about the implementation of testing, production of testing data reports, and the interpretation of test data.
The District Testing Coordinator for Online Academies is a leadership role and will need to possess:
- A deep understanding of state testing mandates across both Arizona and Texas including the relationship of the tested learning standards and their alignment to the Great Hearts Curriculum.
- Arizona Assessments: AZ Merit, MSAA (Multi-State Alternate Assessment), AZELLA and mCLASS with DIBELS 8
- Texas Assessments: STAAR/STAAR End-of-Course, STAAR Alt 2, TELPAS, and mCLASS with DIBELS 8
- Understand and communicate testing strategies that support success in the standardized testing realm.
- We test to teach. A DTC plays a pivotal role in translating results into the just right actions to support student learning, including leading training for campus leaders around accountability, providing coaching support to teachers, and helping to form targeted intervention groups based on learning needs.
- We do not teach to a test, the DTC highlights effective testing procedures and strategies that align with the academic skills already embedded within our curriculum, including active reading and annotation strategies, and problem-solving models that include appropriate problem analysis and justification and evaluation of solutions.
- As technology has become central to most testing programs, the DTC also leads in training teachers to transfer pencil and paper strategies to online platforms.
- Supporting Assessment Administration: Create and execute the Great Hearts Online assessment training, assessment implementation, and data use calendar.
- Partner with Campus Operations: Ensure student data accuracy in all assessment platforms and provide access to actionable reports that inform instruction. Serve as the point of contact for the campuses testing and expert on interpretation of test data.
- Share Data: Provide results to campuses focusing on growth and improvement at the campus, teacher, and student levels. Help administrators interrupt the test data to create actionable teaching plans, and advise teachers of general options as they create re-teach plans.
- Model Great Hearts Assessment Principles: We provide a positive testing experience for all stakeholders. We assess to take bold action to improve student learning.
Qualifications, Competencies, and Strengths:
Education & Experience
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree and a standard Texas Educator Certificate;
- Have a minimum of 2 years of experience in a K-12 setting as a mentor teacher or administrator;
- Have a minimum of 2 years of experience leading state assessment at a campus level;
- Experience working with Excel for formatting and merging data from multiple sources;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams and
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
Valued Partner: You have a strong track record of building partnerships with stakeholders sharing advice and perspectives that are readily received and implemented. You are an exceptional listener – you hear what stakeholder partners are saying, what they are not saying, and have insights into why and how to support.
Influencer: Without formal authority and through trust and partnership, you significantly influence stakeholders and decisions.
Entrepreneur: You will thrive in the widely defined space within Great Hearts Online. You envision the future, turn dreams into operational plans and actions, navigate ambiguity, and think and act across multiple functions. Starting and building something is in your blood.
Independently motivated and successful within a remote working environment: Because we are an online school, our staff (for the most part) works remotely. The ability to self-motivate and work independently is critical to this role.
Model Virtuous Behavior: As an individual and leader, you live the values, beliefs, and virtues of Great Hearts.
- Strong work ethic combined with a high level of professionalism focused on delivering results
- Must always be committed to providing excellent customer service under all circumstances
- Exceptional communications skills and the ability to build strong relationships
- Honest approach to collaboration, communication, teams, and community
- Consistent work ethic
- Ability to travel 20% of the time (in non-pandemic times)
Type of clearance:
- Must complete Texas Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance and background check.
- Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. May be required to move or position equipment up to 50 pounds approximately.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the additional tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer