POSITION: Staff Accountant
LOCATION: San Antonio
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance
SALARY RANGE: $50,000 TO $55,000
(Full-time, benefits-eligible, immediate opening)
Great Hearts Academies is currently seeking a Staff Accountant Accounting to join the finance team. This position will have the responsibility to ensure accounts payable, fixed assets, prepaid, accruals, and payroll are recorded timely and recognized in accordance with GAAP.
Great Hearts is a non-profit network of public charter schools dedicated to improving education nationwide through classical preparatory K-12 academies. A Great Hearts education prepares students to be more than just proficient test takers and become great-hearted leaders capable of success throughout their higher education and professional careers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- One of the Team Member responsible for all the accounting for Great Hearts' Texas organization, including transactions with individual schools, construction funds, and fixed assets, payroll/benefits journal entries, bank and sub-ledger reconciliations to general ledger account balances (e.g., pledges receivable), general ledger management and monthly accounting close.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Supports the cash management function by preparing bank reconciliations, EFT processing, and reviewing and posting journal entries.
- Prepares journal entries, including prepaid accruals, allocations, amortizations, and reclassifications, and other tasks for month-end, quarter-end, or year-end financial close.
- Performs routine account reconciliations and maintenance-related support files for General Ledger Accounts, partnering with team members and schools to resolve discrepancies.
- Oversee credit card/expense report compliance, classification, and analysis using a cloud base expense reporting system.
- Suggest/implement system/process improvements to ensure adequate internal controls and efficient processes while enhancing the organization's views/disseminates information.
- Drives change in the organization via participation in special projects.
- Participates in inter-company transactions and reconciliations related to all entities.
- Work with external auditors and provide necessary supporting schedules for reviews, audits, and tax filings.
- Assist in the annual budgeting process.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as needed.
Qualifications, Competencies, and Strengths
- Minimum of 1-3 years of progressive accounting/finance work experience, preferably including education-related industry and/or multi-unit service operations experience.
- Bachelor's degree in ac counting is required.
- Prior audit experience preferred.
- Must have excellent communication (written and verbal) and people skills to build strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Proficiency with Blackbaud Financial Edge, Concur, and Adaptive budgeting software preferred.
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to take ownership and successfully lead projects.
- Strong analytical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to see the big picture and understand the details.
- Ability to organize work and data while maximizing the efficient and effective use of all resources available.
- Ability to lead others through intelligence, charisma, humor, moral integrity, and example.
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP in a non-profit setting preferred.
- Provide excellent customer service and ability to maintain confidentiality
Personal Qualities & Values
With humility and curiosity, we seek to know more about our core purpose; a desire to share (with each other and with others externally as an advocate); seek to live the mission ourselves with relentless pursuit and intrinsic motivation; seek to understand our work and how it serves the mission…which should result in getting the right stuff done with measurable results because we love actualization – not just the theory.
The foundational element of having a servant's heart is acknowledging inherent dignity in their fellow human. Someone with a servant's heart believes that their work is to promote the development of those around them and make it possible for others to be successful in serving the organization's mission.
We believe our mission can only be accomplished through collaboration and receive true joy in being a part of something greater than ourselves; Each of us is one part of a whole, each with different roles, expertise, and responsibilities; working together in synchronicity.
Type of fingerprint clearance: Must possess or obtain a valid Texas Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance card.
Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. It may be required to move or position equipment up to 15 pounds approximately.
Travel required: Will need to travel locally to the various academies within Texas.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, and it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.