POSITION: Payroll Manager
DEPARTMENT: Finance: Scottsdale, AZ
REPORTS TO: Director of Financial Shared Services
FLSA STATUS: Exempt 59,000-070,000
Great Hearts Academies is a non-profit network of charter schools dedicated to improving education by developing excelling public schools. Great Hearts’ academies are substantially outperforming other public and private schools, proving that tuition-free schools can do a superb job of educating students if they are smaller, more efficient, and set higher expectations for all students through a core, classical liberal arts curriculum. We gladly prepare our graduates for success in the best colleges and universities in the nation, but our main purpose is the formation of the soul, heart, and mind. We believe that the highest goal of education is to become good, intellectually and morally. The success of Great Hearts is based on combining an unwavering commitment to classical liberal arts education with the understanding that our schools can constantly be improved through sound, data-driven leadership.
Great Hearts is comprised of a network of twenty one academies in the Phoenix metropolitan region and ten in Texas with planned growth. Additional information can be found at http:// greatheartsaz.org.
Duties & Responsibilities
Great Hearts is seeking a Payroll Manager to join its dynamic and growing team. The Payroll Manager is responsible for the day to day operations of the payroll team, including execution of multi-state payroll and interaction with various departments to facilitate reporting, system integrity and necessary enhancements. The right candidate will be detail oriented with strong work ethic and excellent communication skills.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Process Bi-weekly payroll for all employees timely, accurately and in compliance with legislative requirements and company policies
- Analyze payroll data such as pay changes, garnishments and deductions and verify changes in system
- Review timecard submissions and address missing data, discrepancies and policy compliance
- Interact with finance, vendor and bank on payroll funding and bank interface files/reconciliations
- Oversee Arizona tax credit withholdings, including preparation of A1-C forms and AZDOR filing
- Ensure compliance with garnishment directives and process remittances timely and accurately
- Reconcile payroll registers; prepare payroll related general ledger journal entries
- Manage year-end payroll tax activities, including preparation and verification of W-2 data
- Manage, coach, train and mentor staff; establish procedures, schedules and workflow for the payroll group
- Maintain relationship with payroll system vendor; request/initiate assistance as appropriate
- Answer payroll inquiries and assist in issue resolution; providing excellent customer service
- Ensure compliance with company policies and incorporate procedural changes when necessary
- Provide guidance and ensure compliance with applicable federal and state regulatory requirements
- Generate various regular payroll reports for internal and external distribution as necessary
- Create ad hoc reports to meet user specifications, as needed
- Respond to company audits including, but not limited to, financial, workers’ compensation and 401k
- Review and respond to agencies regarding payroll taxes
- Coordinate distribution of payroll checks to various locations if necessary
- Assist in testing payroll system functions when modifications or upgrades are necessary
- Develop policies and procedures applying best practice solutions
- Suggest/implement system/process improvements to ensure adequate internal controls and efficient processes while enhancing the way organization views/disseminates information
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Competencies & Strengths
The Payroll Manager position offers an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally and contribute meaningfully to a unique organization which is changing K-12 education in this country. While experience in education is not a requirement, Great Hearts is seeking people who are passionate and committed to K-12 education reform. Similarly, experience working within a high-growth, geographically-dispersed, multi-unit operating environment is also a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field preferred
- At least 6 years progressive payroll processing/management work experience, preferably including education-related industry and/or multi-unit service operations
- Certifications FPC, CPP needed.
- Kronos/Ultimate Software (UltiPro) experience strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of federal, state and city payroll taxes and labor laws
- Demonstrated success with the creation of business process and improvement initiatives
- Ability to hold sensitive data and information in strict confidence
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships
- Detail oriented with strong organization, and time management and project management skills
- Demonstrated professionalism and responsible enough to take ownership of projects
- Ability to work in fast paced, dynamic environment with minimal supervision and multiple deadlines
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint)
Personal Qualities and Values
We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. The candidate should enjoy being a team player. A vibrant shared services center, and the competitive aspiration, well-being, and camaraderie of our employees, is an essential complement to our academic communities.
The nine core virtues that we seek to model and instill in our students are:
- Responsibility. We accept obligations and we act on those obligations in a manner suitable to their timely and satisfactory fulfillment. We are willingly accountable for what we do and say, and we seek to learn from our mistakes.
- Perseverance and Courage. We spurn despair and strive to complete tasks to the best of our abilities, regardless of the difficulty. We respond creatively to overcome obstacles and ask for help when necessary
- Integrity and Honesty. We are individuals of strong ethical values, who make consistently good choices in keeping with our knowledge of right and wrong. We are always truthful in what we say and do, regardless of the circumstances or consequences.
- Citizenship and Humility. We give of our time and abilities to serve others. We uphold liberty and social equality through respect for individual differences and always strive to do our best whether we are recognized or not.
- Friendship. We regard others and ourselves as deserving of kind and just treatment. Our conduct is considerate and polite. We look for the good in others and demonstrate compassion. Our attitudes toward others reflect the way we wish to be treated.
- Wisdom. We learn from our mistakes and think before we act. We look to each other and our past successes for guidance on making good choices.
Great Hearts offers a very competitive benefits package and overall compensation will be commensurate with talent, experience and education.
TO APPLY: Candidates must apply using our online application, accessible via our website www.greatheartsaz.org – Click on "CAREERS" and then "Open Positions" to view job descriptions/openings and submit application materials including your resume. For general information/questions regarding the application or hiring process please contact: email@example.com
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.