POSITION: School Nurse
LOCATION: SAN ANTONIO, TX and IRVING, TX
REPORTS TO: Headmaster
Great Hearts Academies is a non-profit network of 35 charter schools in Arizona and Texas dedicated to improving American education through the development of excellent public preparatory schools. We currently outperform most public and private schools through smaller schools with high expectations and a core, classical liberal arts curriculum. While we prepare our graduates for success in the best colleges, our main purpose is cultivate each student’s mind and heart through the pursuit of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. We believe that the highest goal of education is to become good—both intellectually and morally. Learn more at www.greatheartsamerica.org .
Duties & Responsibilities
Implement comprehensive program of health services for campus. Provide health services to students. Promote health education and preventive health practices for students.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide temporary and emergency care for sick and injured students or staff according to school policy and procedures.
- Serve as health advocate for students.
- Notify parents of accident or illness and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
- Coordinate management system to administer medications to students at school. Administer medications according to school policy and procedures.
- Perform screening procedures as required by Texas Department of Health, Texas Educational Agency, and school policy. Make referrals as necessary.
- Develop and coordinate continuing evaluation of campus health program and make changes based on findings.
- Provide relevant assessment, counseling, and guidance, serving as a resource to staff.
- Assist staff with accessing and effectively utilizing community resources for health.
- Provide health counseling and instruction to individual students.
- Serve as health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
- Assess student problems and make appropriate referrals working with students, teachers, parents, and medical and health care professionals as needed.
- Participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Communicate regularly with principal regarding health services issues.
- Review and evaluate immunization records.
- Enforce procedures to ensure proper program administration according to school policy.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate, updated health records on all students.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in health services area.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to principal.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Graduate of an accredited professional nursing education program
- Valid Registered Nurse (RN) license from the Texas Board of Nursing.
- CPR Certification
- Competent holistic nursing assessment skills
- Expertise in student specific case management plans for acute and chronic health conditions
- Ability to implement policies and procedures
- Proficient computer skills
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Strong organizational, communication, mentoring, coaching and interpersonal skills
- One (1) year nursing experience
Personal Qualities & Values
- Passionately Committed
With humility and curiosity, we seek to know more about our core purpose; seek to share (with each other and with others externally as an advocate); seek to live the mission ourselves with relentless pursuit and intrinsic motivation; seek to understand our work and how it serves the mission…which should result in getting the right stuff done with measurable results because we love actualization – not just the theory
- Servant’s Heart
The foundational element of having a servant’s heart is the acknowledgement of inherent dignity in their fellow human. Someone with a servant’s heart believes that their work is to promote the development of those around them and make it possible for others to be successful in serving the mission of the organization.
- Team Player
We believe our mission can only be accomplished through collaboration and receive true joy in being a part of something greater than ourselves; Each of us is one part of a whole, each with different roles, expertise and responsibilities; working together in synchronicity