POSITION: Director of Growth & Business Development
LOCATION: Remote Location Available; CST Hours
DEPARTMENT: Great Hearts Texas Home Office / Great Hearts Online
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of GH Online
FLSA: Salaried, exempt
Great Hearts Academies is a non-profit charter management organization (CMO) that operates classical, preparatory, K-12 public charter schools. Our academies cultivate the minds and hearts of students through the pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty. We currently serve over 20,000 students across in both Texas and Arizona, with around 7,000 students at our 10 Texas schools, and we expect that number to grow to thousands more, including 8,000 students at our campuses in San Antonio, alone. Great Hearts is dedicated to providing additional communities with access to our liberal arts model, and, as the network scales both locally and nationally, we aim to restore excellence to American public education. We proudly prepare students for success at the best colleges and universities in the nation, but see our larger purpose as producing great-hearted graduates that are prepared to be intellectual, moral and engaged citizens. Additional information can be found at www.greatheartsamerica.org/careers .
Effective immediately, Great Hearts Online is seeking a full time Director of Growth & Business Development. In partnership and alignment with the Executive Director, the right individual will lead a clear, aligned, coherent and financially strong plan to grow our organization, serve more kids, ensure enrollment, and get resources. The ideal candidate is a clear, strategic, and business-minded thinker and realizer of bold, multi-region growth plans; an exceptional communicator and influencer across a multitude of stakeholders, from parents and potential parents to major funders and elected officials; and a strong problem-solver, with the ability to manipulate multiple variables and analyze complex policy to chart the right path forward.
- As an organization, Great Hearts served around 20,000 students from March to June in “remote learning” with high parent satisfaction. From the spring: 90% of parents agree or strongly agree that “the work my child(ren) have been asked to do is meaningful and substantial”; 83% of families agree or strongly agree that “overall, our family’s experience of… remote learning has thus far been a positive one.” Additionally, 91% of Great Hearts Texas families participated in the last voluntary / anonymous survey. We work hard to listen to our families, share results with them, and take action based on their feedback to influence our decision-making process.
- In standing up distance learning, our academic leadership has learned much about how to deliver our program online. We also understand that more and more families are comfortable, and indeed prefer learning at home. There are many cultural and moral reasons for this shift that the pandemic has only exacerbated, but certainly will stay with us long after a vaccine is found. Education will never be the same.
- We have launched Great Hearts Online and will be serving up to 400 students on January 4th in a new classical virtual academy serving students across Texas!
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Growth & Business Development will have roles and responsibilities aligned to the below. This individual will need to balance high-level strategy with nitty-gritty rolling up sleeves in a startup environment.
1. Ensure January 4th Enrollment
- Work with the GH Online team members and GH America marketing and communications team and external vendors and consultants to shape and execute aggressive and targeted integrated marketing communications strategy
- Build relationships with parents and partnerships across the Texas communities to develop robust online school communities as a critical element of our value proposition
- Support the delightful engagement of families until the first day of school, by directly leading engagement and communication and partnership with the Headmaster and other team members to coordinate clean handoffs
2. Build a strong growth bridge to August 2021 and ensure a strong launch next year
- Realize enrollment and national growth goals and lead projects (e.g., accreditation, charter applications, voucher research) to realize growth
- Partner with the Executive Director and other advisors to realize legal and organization structure for GH Online Independent and oversee growth marketing and enrollment
- Developed a differentiated and clear marketing communication strategy across multiple platforms for serving students and families
3. Participate as a key partner in the private business development strategy for GH Online
- Build partnerships with key families to pressure test hypotheses and price points
- Support the articulation of a clear value proposition
4. Quarterback and lead fundraising efforts
- Set up and follow up on pitches to secure resources for current finances and future growth
- Devise and realize the short-term and long-term community investment strategy for GH Online
- Support national fundraising efforts in partnership with Executive Director, Foundation President, and CEO
5. Write, close read, and problem-solve important policies, language, and communications related to enrollment, growth, and marketing
- With the support of counsel, lead the close reading review of critical growth documents, policies, and processes, including enrollment policies, contracts, governance, etc.
- Identify unclarity and relentlessly follow up to achieve precision and accuracy
- Problem solve policy challenges
Qualifications, Competencies, and Strengths
- Education and Experience :
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Business, Finance, Organizational Effectiveness Advanced Degree preferred
- Business Development & Growth Expertise
- Experience building a strong business, including market analysis and insights, the creation of products and services, pricing, marketing, and turning leads into clients.
- A track record of results in leading growth for mission-driven organizations.
- A track recording leading fundraising and setting up large scale gifts.
- Execution Management Expertise :
- Proven ability to manage complex projects with multiple dependencies, stakeholders, and moving pieces to complete on timeline
- Highly organized, focused, and efficient leader who helps (by managing or mentoring) those around them similarly stay organized, focused, and efficient
- Proven ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders to set deadlines, remind people of roles/responsibilities, follow up with deadlines were missed, and engage in debrief conversations with people above, below, and lateral in the org chart
- Ability to travel up to 20% of time (during non-pandemic times)
Type of clearance: Must complete Texas Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance and background check.
Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. May be required to move or position equipment up to 50 pounds approximately.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the additional tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.