POSITION: Benefits Manager
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
LOCATION: Great Hearts Lead Office
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Human Resources
EEO Classification: Professionals
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Benefits Manager is responsible for directing and planning the day-to-day operations of a group of benefits programs (group health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, flexible spending account, 401(k), COBRA). The Benefits Manager investigates new benefits programs, improves existing programs, and provides analytical and technical support in the delivery of the benefits programs. This position will oversee National benefits administrative positions including Arizona, Texas, and other potential growth areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage various employee benefit programs, such as group insurance, life insurance, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, disability, and 401k.
- Responsible for plan administration and interface with third parties to anticipate and manage claims.
- Lead and execute benefit orientations, enrollments, claims processing and billings of insurance. Process benefit plan remittances, reports and other communications to outside providers; coordinate timely and accurate payment for all benefits programs to the benefit provider/carriers.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws including FMLA, HIPAA, ACA, CMS Reporting, and Form 5500 filing.
- Apply functional knowledge of current ERISA, IRS, ADA, DOL, COBRA and HIPAA regulations to ensure compliance of retirement and health plans.
- Update and/or calculate benefit deductions or additions in company payroll system.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintains statistical data relative to premiums, claims, and costs. Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Managing benefits plan renewal process and partners with the Vice President of Human Resources in and negotiations with the vendor. Examines possible plan design or benefit cost changes.
- Evaluate, revise, and create internal processes to increase efficiency.
- Prepare and setup meetings designed to help employees obtain information and understand company benefits and other related incentive programs.
- Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills to evaluate problems; to apply knowledge to identify appropriate solutions; and to resolve issues effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate and revise Plan Documents, Summary Plan Descriptions and Benefits Guides.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Competencies & Strengths
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business Management
Experience: Minimum three (3) years of Benefits Administration or relative experience preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) skills, experience with Ultimate Software (Ulti Pro), Adobe Acrobat preferred.
- Knowledgeable of Federal and Arizona and Texas employment law.
- Experience with self-funded plan administration.
- Superior written and verbal communication and presentation skills; oriented towards detail, thoroughness, and accuracy.
- Experienced and comfortable interacting with individuals/groups at every level of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Achievement-oriented, have a great deal of stamina to work hard and take satisfaction from being productive.
- Strong analytical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Licenses or certifications
Licenses or certifications: PHR/SHRM-CP Certification preferred.
Type of fingerprint clearance: Shall be fingerprinted per ARS 15-183.
Physical functions: Must be able to remain in a stationary (standing or sitting) position for 75%-100% of the time.
Equipment used: Frequent computer use is expected.
Work Environment: May be required to move or position equipment up to 10-15 pounds.
- Must have the ability to travel locally to the various academies within the Phoenix metro area. National travel is to be expected as well.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.