POSITION: Staff Accountant
LOCATION: San Antonio
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance
SALARY RANGE: $50,000 TO $55,000
(Full-time, benefits-eligible, immediate opening)
Great Hearts Academies is currently seeking a Staff Accountant Accounting to join the finance team. This position will have the responsibility to ensure accounts payable, fixed assets, prepaid, accruals and payroll are recorded timely and recognized in accordance with GAAP.
Great Hearts is a non-profit network of public charter schools dedicated to improving education nationwide through classical preparatory K-12 academies. A Great Hearts education prepares students to be more than just proficient test takers, but rather, to become great-hearted leaders capable of success throughout their higher education and professional careers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- One of the Team Member responsible for all the accounting for Great Hearts’ Texas organization, including transactions with individual schools, construction funds and fixed assets, payroll/benefits journal entries, bank and sub-ledger reconciliations to general ledger account balances (e.g. pledges receivable), general ledger management and monthly accounting close.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Supports the cash management function by preparing bank reconciliations, EFT processing, as well as reviewing and posting journal entries.
- Prepares journal entries, including prepaid accruals, allocations, amortizations, and reclassifications and other tasks for month-end, quarter-end, or year-end financial close.
- Performs routine account reconciliations and maintenance-related support files for General Ledger Accounts, partnering with team members and schools to resolve discrepancies.
- Oversee credit card/expense report compliance, classification and analysis using a cloud base expense reporting system.
- Suggest/implement system/process improvements to ensure adequate internal controls and efficient processes while enhancing the way organization views/disseminates information.
- Drives change in the organization via participation in special projects.
- Participates in inter-company transactions and reconciliations related to all entities.
- Work with external auditors and provide necessary supporting schedules for reviews, audits and tax filings.
- Assist in the annual budgeting process.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as needed.
Qualifications, Competencies and Strengths
- Minimum of 1-3 years of progressive accounting/finance work experience, preferably including education-related industry and/or multi-unit service operations experience.
- Bachelor's degree in ac counting is required.
- Prior audit experience preferred.
- Must have excellent communication (written and verbal) and people skills with the ability to build strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Proficiency with Blackbaud Financial Edge, Concur, and Adaptive budgeting software preferred.
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to take ownership and successfully lead projects.
- Strong analytical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to be able to see the big picture but also to understand the details.
- Ability to organize work and data while maximizing efficient and effective use of all resources available.
- Ability to lead others through intelligence, charisma, humor, moral integrity, and example.
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP in a non-profit setting preferred.
- Provide excellent customer service and ability to maintain confidentiality
Personal Qualities & Values
With humility and curiosity, we seek to know more about our core purpose; seek to share (with each other and with others externally as an advocate); seek to live the mission ourselves with relentless pursuit and intrinsic motivation; seek to understand our work and how it serves the mission…which should result in getting the right stuff done with measurable results because we love actualization – not just the theory.
The foundational element of having a servant’s heart is the acknowledgement of inherent dignity in their fellow human. Someone with a servant’s heart believes that their work is to promote the development of those around them and make it possible for others to be successful in serving the mission of the organization.
We believe our mission can only be accomplished through collaboration and receive true joy in being a part of something greater than ourselves; Each of us is one part of a whole, each with different roles, expertise and responsibilities; working together in synchronicity.