POSITION: Human Resources Generalist
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
LOCATION: Great Hearts Phoenix Home Office
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Manager
EEO Classification: Professional
FLSA STATUS: Exempt, Full-time ($43,000 - $50,000)
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with HR leadership in supporting designated Academies throughout the Great Hearts network. The HR Generalist role will focus on processing new hire onboarding and internal staffing changes while also carrying out responsibilities that involve supporting the following functional areas: employee relations, benefits, workers’ compensation, and employment and charter school law compliance. The HR Generalist will also play a valuable role in building effective relationships with all Great Hearts personnel, including within the HR team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the development and implementation of Great Hearts policies and procedures; contribute to preparing and maintaining the employee handbook, including internal HR policies and processes.
- Processes and completes a high volume of new hire onboarding to include background screening, employment verification, fingerprinting, new hire paperwork processing, data entry and detailed follow-up with new hires and managers.
- Performs background investigations and fingerprints for volunteers and vendors.
- Completes internal personnel status changes to include compensation calculations, at-will employment agreement generation and HRIS (UltiPro) entry.
- Contributes to developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Escalates employee relations counseling and exit interviewing.
- Assists with guiding and recommending on employee disciplinary action.
- Partners with hiring managers to counsel and guide on salary recommendations and status changes.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and internal trainings.
- Maintains human resource information system records, including compiling and running reports.
- Audits regularly to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations, including charter school law.
- Monitor and knowledgeably respond to high volume of internal and external Human Resources inquiries.
- Complete Form I-9 and E-Verify entries in a timely manner.
- Maintain personnel and other related files.
- Respond to and submit Worker’s Compensation claims, including maintaining OSHA logs and related records.
- Process and respond in a timely manner to Unemployment Insurance claims.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service, confidentiality and professionalism at all times.
- Does not supervise others, however, there is a high level of cross training involved.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned.
Qualifications, Competencies & Strengths
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business Management strongly preferred.
Experience: Must have 2-5 years of general Human Resources experience required.
- Superior written and verbal communication and presentation skills; oriented towards detail, thoroughness, and accuracy.
- Experienced and comfortable interacting with individuals/groups at every level of the organization.
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build positive and strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Achievement-oriented, willingness to work hard and take satisfaction from being productive.
- Strong analytical thinking and creative problem-solving skills; ability to troubleshoot with little direction.
- Knowledgeable of Federal and Arizona employment law.
- Strong Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) skills, experience with UltiPro, Adobe Acrobat, and Taleo preferred.
Type of fingerprint clearance: Must possess or obtain valid Arizona Department of Public Safety IVP fingerprint clearance card.
Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. May be required to move or position equipment up to 15 pounds approximately.
Travel required: May need to travel locally to the various academies within the Phoenix metro area.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.