Working for Webcor is an experience unlike any other. One of the principles our founders baked into our DNA is that people come first. Fifty years later, our people and values remain at the center of everything we do. Our clients agree that the people we assign to their projects are what seal the deal.
Our higher calling is to build solutions and better lives. This includes devising ways to deliver diverse, high-profile, and innovative structures, many of which have become iconic parts of the skylines where we work (primarily the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and San Diego). Our Core & Shell, Special Projects, and self-perform groups – Webcor Concrete, Webcor Drywall, and Webcor Carpentry – operate on clear transparency and collaboration.
It also means crafting career paths that support the individual goals of our people through rotation plans, volunteer opportunities, and other people-focused experiences. Cultivating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment is key to achieving these goals. We better lives through community engagement programs, corporate philanthropy involvement, a deep commitment to sustainability and corporate social responsibility, a culture of leadership, and an employee experience that includes competitive financial, health, and wellness benefits. Whether you are a craft specialist, an experienced professional, or a recent graduate seeking your first career opportunity, Webcor will deliver an unparalleled experience for you.
The Sustainability Director is responsible for leading all Sustainability related initiatives throughout Webcor in all regions. They are responsible for ensuring department success, innovation across operations, and continuous support of project teams. They are the subject matter expert and external voice for the company.
What you will do:
- Develop and drive implementation of established department business plan and department budget.
- Drive Planet execution of CSR Strategy, and leadership to continuously improve through innovative new corporate goals.
- Advise and assist project teams on how to support and contribute to Webcor’s Sustainability CSR Targets.
- Oversee department team-members, management training, grown needs, mentorship and hiring.
- Participate in pursuit interviews to bring potential new business.
- Strengthen relationships with existing and perspective clients and AEC partners, by offering green building expertise and advice that reflects our competency sustainable construction.
- Collaborate with competitor counterparts to drive consistency where appropriate and leverage collective knowledge and experience in sustainability initiatives.
- Own the success/failure and supervision of all LEED, WELL, GPR, ZNE operations project certifications, with support of sustainability personnel.
- Stay abreast of policy changes, and drive creation of new corporate initiatives to lead market.
- Provide direct feedback and collaboration with Executive Leadership and Senior Management groups, including Parent and Group Companies.
- Participate in industry groups and represent Webcor on a board of one or more affiliated organizations.
- Identify opportunities to market our achievements and develop stories that showcase activity, by speaking on panels, and maintaining communications of Webcor as a leader within the industry.
- Represents Webcor as the external voice and advocate as an industry leader in sustainable design and construction.
- Ensures project goals and expectations are realistic, achievable, and revisited/revised at appropriate times during the life of the project.
- Clearly defines goals, understands audiences, manages productive meetings, manages, and builds team morale.
What you need to succeed:
- College Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Environmental Science, Architecture, Sustainable Development and/or relevant equivalent.
- At least eight years’ experience in a sustainability role including construction industry experience/exposure.
- Jobsite performance related to construction waste management, low-impact materials, material sourcing, soil and erosion control, etc.
- Current LEED AP Accreditation, WELL AP, TRUE Advisor (Preferred)
- Proficiency demonstrated in: LEED Online, Embodied Carbon in Construction Calculator (EC3), Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel and other software tools.
- Proficiency preferred, but not required in: Embodied Carbon, GHG Emissions, Lifecycle Assessment (LCA), Zero Waste Circular Economy, Green building programs and regulations (LEED, CalGreen, Title 24, WELL Building Standard, Zero Net Energy), MEP Design and Construction, TRUE Zero Waste.
- Willingness to pursue continued education in LEED, Sustainability and Environmental aspects for project needs.
- Proven ability to identify, manage, develop, and mentor staff and teams and make difficult team decisions.
- Ability to engage in difficult internal facing conversations with empathy. Holds others and themselves accountable.
- Possesses a strong self-awareness, empowering them to make changes and to build on their areas of strength as well as identify areas where they would like to make improvements.
- Able to ensure team goals and expectations are realistic, achievable, and revisited/revised at appropriate times. Relentless for success.
- Strategic communication skills. Ability to address an audience of various sizes and effectively communicate messages and ideas. Ability to write clear and concise thoughts in a professional manner.
- Strategic decision quality and use of sound judgement.
- Proven ability to meet and prioritize multiple deadlines with constant changing tasks and demands.
This is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned. Webcor is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.