GROW WITH US
As the largest 100% employee-owned company in the resource recovery industry, Recology has a unique workplace culture that guides how we support employees, interact with our customers, service our communities, and care for our environment.
We encourage Recology employees to G.R.O.W. with Us professionally and personally by:
- Giving back to our communities and our environment by volunteering time and resources
- Recovering resources to achieve their best and highest use
- Exhibiting Ownership in a company that does the right things for the right reasons, ensuring that our actions benefit the company, the communities we serve, and our environment.
- Working together to develop camaraderie and facilitate collaboration. By demonstrating an inclusive attitude that values different backgrounds and ideas, we can get the job done.
You can G.R.O.W. with Us by becoming our Waste Zero Specialist 1
Under close supervision, responsible for design, coordination, implementation and administration waste diversion programs through a comprehensive approach involving regular contact with key commercial/residential customers and local jurisdiction, education, community-wide services, and completes waste auditing services.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF WASTE ZERO SPECIALIST 1
- Completes waste and diversion assessments for customers. Provides diversion strategies and outline customer’s areas for opportunity. Implements service changes, and follow-up as needed to ensure diversion programs are successful.
- Follows through on action items for customers and documents all customer interactions for ease of reporting.
- Prepares and delivers speeches and presentations within the community for customers.
- Coordinates programs (recycling/landfill diversion) with local jurisdictions and educates existing and new customers on program elements and related services.
- Contributes content for media such as social media, ads, annual reports to cities, presentations, and other communications materials to promote the company and its services. Develops and delivers effective public education programs in franchise cities that fulfill contract requirements and support regional sustainability goals.
- Serves as Company representative for city staff and elected officials, as well as regional organizations, associations, and Chambers.
- Manages, updates, and secures new contracts from key commercial recycling customers in both franchised and unregulated markets, in conjunction with sales department.
- Surveys routes to verify rates, services and efficiencies (size, frequency, quantity).
- Reviews audit reports on contamination and diversion issues and provides management with summary of findings for improving diversion rates and or process to meet legal compliance with contracts, city, and state laws.
- Monitors and researches relevant public policy issues that impact various operational and business practices of the Company.
- Participates in team projects, as assigned.
- Maintains and updates all documents required by law and company policy.
- May manage, support and expand local buy-back centers.
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule based on business needs.
- Travels frequently to various offsite meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
- One year of related experience in resource recovery (e.g., waste disposal, recycling), or training.
- Technical and professional principles, practices, laws, applications and programs in position related area.
- Current developments and trends in areas of marketing, communications and public outreach.
- Computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
Skill and/or Ability to:
- Promotes the WASTE ZERO philosophy by making the best and highest use of all resources as well as finding ways to use waste products in ways that benefit the environment.
- Develops strategies to effectively manage current and future challenges and opportunities; develops recommendations and actionable plans.
- Defines issues and focus on achieving workable solutions; generates innovative ideas to develop or improve existing systems.
- Demonstrates ability to use computers and technology capabilities.
- Demonstrates strong proficiency and knowledge in area(s) of expertise as well as company business and proficiency in strategic and financial processes.
- Communicates well both verbally and in writing; listens to and understands various viewpoints; shares relevant information timely; provides constructive feedback; maintains professionalism.
- Presents ideas effectively to individuals or groups and delivers presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence.
- Promotes collaboration and assists others with their initiatives and efforts.
- Motivates and empowers others to achieve objectives and to develop a culture where employees feel ownership in what they do.
- Attracts, develops and retains good people; allows opportunities for self and others to reach their full potential; builds and shares knowledge and expertise.
- Listens to and builds customer relationships; increases customer satisfaction and ensures commitments are met.
- An ecologically innovative company that finds and mentors people committed to protecting the environment and sustaining our communities.
- The largest employee owned resource recovery company in the industry with terrific benefits to help you prosper.
- A creative and caring culture that values community, diversity, altruism, accountability, collaboration, and learning by doing.
- An inspired company mission driven to use and return resources to their best and highest use through the practice of the 4R’s: Reduce, Re-use, Recycle, and Recologize.
- Distinct professional challenges to connect with, care for, and grow community that sees a world without waste.
RECOLOGY BENEFITS MAY INCLUDE:
- Paid time off and paid holidays.
- Health and wellness benefits including medical, dental, and vision.
- Retirement plans (Employee Stock Ownership Plan, 401(k) with match).
- Annual wellness incentives.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Educational assistance.
- Commuting benefits.
- Employee referral program.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job; and pursuant to applicable law, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records. It is important that you provide accurate information on the job application, inaccurate information may cause delays in the processing of your application and/or may disqualify you as a candidate.
Recology is an equal opportunity employer committed to supporting an inclusive and diverse work environment where employees are valued, heard, and provided development opportunities. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis that is prohibited by law.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, effort, work conditions, and benefits associated with the job.