Health disparities among New Yorkers are large, persistent and increasing. Public Health Solutions (PHS) exists to change that trajectory and support New Yorkers and their families in achieving optimal health and building pathways to reach their potential. As the largest public health nonprofit serving New York City, we improve health outcomes and help communities thrive by providing services directly to low-income families, supporting community-based organizations through our long-standing public-private partnerships, and bridging the gap between healthcare and community services. We focus on a wide range of public health issues including food and nutrition, health insurance, maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, tobacco control, and HIV/AIDS. Learn more about our work at healthsolutions.org .
Our sexual and reproductive health centers, located in Fort Greene and Brownsville, provide affordable, comprehensive, and confidential reproductive and sexual healthcare to more than 4,000 people, including adolescents each year. We offer a complete range of services, including free walk-in pregnancy testing, gynecological exams, preconception care, prenatal care, birth control, emergency contraception, medication abortion, sexual and reproductive healthcare for all genders, teens’ sexual healthcare, STI testing and treatment, HIV testing and counseling, mental health services, and health education. Our strategic vision is to begin offering onsite primary care to our patients and the communities we serve in 2022.
Summary of Position:
We are seeking a part-time Family Medicine Physician to provide the full scope of sexual and reproductive health care at PHS SRH Centers and support our new primary care scope of service. This position will provide primary care, sexual and reproductive health services to adolescents, adult and geriatric patients at our two health centers, located in Fort Greene and Brownsville, Brooklyn. This position will rotate between both centers and will require the provider to work independently at one of these centers.
In collaboration with the Medical Director and provider team, the Family Medicine Physician will support the development and implementation of new primary care clinical policies and procedures and quality improvement activities related to primary care. Overall, the right candidate will have a passion for supporting new clinical initiatives and will work collaboratively with our PHS operations team to intergrate primary care within our current practice.
Specifically, the Family Medicine Physician will:
- Assess, diagnose, treat and manager acure episodic and chronic illnesses in a cultually competent manner to diverse populations.
- Provide sexual and reproductive health care services to adolescents and adults following evidence-based guidelines, including prenatal and postpartum care (no evening or weekend on-call hours required)
- Provide relevant health instruction in a patient-centered manner including family planning, routine preventive care and sexual and reproductive health.
- Provide culturally competent and patient-centered information and access to a comprehensive range of contraceptive methods, including proficiency in IUD insertions/removals and Nexplanon insertions/removals.
- Conduct screening for a range of issues, such as breast cancer, cervical cancer and sexual transmitted infections.
- Order, conduct, supervise, and interpret diagnostic and laboratory tests.
- Prescribe pharmacological agents and non-pharmacologic therapies, including discussing the potential side effects of medication/treatment with patients.
- Provide advice to patients for lifestyle and diet changes that may improve their health or help to treat the health issue they are experiencing.
- Maintain patient confidentiality and comply with all federal and state health information privacy laws.
- Record complete, timely and legible medical records.
- Participate in quality assurance/ improvement activities, including Meaningful Use measures, Patient-Centered Specialty Practice, and New York State Family Planning Program initiatives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- M.D. or D. O. degree from an accredited medical school
- Successful completion of a family medicine residency at an accredited healthcare institution
- Board certification in Family Medicine
- Current NYS Medical Practitioner License
- Current Drug Enforcement Agencey (DEA) registration for prescription writing
- Experience providing primary care and diagnostic services in a clinical setting
- Experience collaborating with specialists to explore patient health conditions and diagnose health issues
- Ability and willingness to support medication abortion services
- Ability and willingness to manage 3 patients per hour
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills to work with diverse staff members and patients
- Credentialed with Medicaid and/or Medicare
- Proficiency in eClinicalWorks
- Experience providing sexual and reproductive healthcare in a clinical setting
- Bilingual in Spanish or Haitian Creole
NOTE: All applicants must comply with PHS’ vaccination policy. Effective October 1, 2021, employees will be required to provide verification that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (with an FDA-authorized vaccine).
PHS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, and veterans.