Health disparities among New Yorkers are large, persistent and increasing. Public Health Solutions (PHS) exists to change that trajectory, and support vulnerable New York City families in achieving optimal health and building pathways to reach their potential.
As the largest public health nonprofit serving New York City, we improve health outcomes and help communities thrive by providing services directly to vulnerable low-income families, supporting community-based organizations through our long-standing public-private partnerships, and bridging the gap between healthcare and community services. We focus on a wide range of public health issues including food and nutrition, health insurance, maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, tobacco control, and HIV/AIDS. To learn more about our work, please visit healthsolutions.org .
Position Summary :
The Communications Specialist is a new position within the Development and Marketing team at Public Health Solutions (PHS), who will be responsible for advancing and strengthening PHS’ social media presence and internal and external communications efforts.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Specialist will be responsible for content creation, social media management, graphic design, website, and email management. The ideal candidate will an excellent writer and social media savvy professional with impeccable communication skills and experience in graphic design, event management along with an interest in building a professional career in the nonprofit sector.
Job Responsibilities :
Social Media (30%)
- Assist the Director of Communications in developing and implementing a social media strategy designed. to further PHS’ and Development and Marketing team goals.
- Create, coordinate and execute social media campaigns and ensure alignment with PHS’ mission.
- Manage an editorial and content calendar comprising of text, image, and video content.
- Create and post engaging content regularly, positioning PHS as a public health leader online.
- Monitor and report on social media metrics, including weekly and monthly reporting.
Email and Website Management (25%)
- Create emails, digital links, and landing pages to assist Development and Marketing team campaigns.
- Manage PHS’ emailing platform by reviewing and ensure quality of email distribution lists; creating and updating lists as needed.
- Take the lead in analyzing and reporting email metrics.
- Serve as primary administrator of the PHS website and regularly monitor and report on website analytics.
- Work with the website vendor to troubleshoot problems and respond to program teams requests and comments for content updates.
- Author a variety of content to support communications efforts, including newsletters, blog posts, website copy, marketing collateral, social media and CEO talking points for events and internal communications.
- Support Director in creating a process for and writing internal communications, including position statements, staff announcements and program updates as needed.
- Lead the design and production of print and web marketing collateral such as program one-pagers, health briefs, annual report and others, that aligns with brand standards.
- Coordinate the production of video content for the website and social media.
- Plan and collaborate with other PHS teams and external consultants for organizing internal events such as Lunch and Learn Series and All-Staff Calls.
- Provide support for external events such as PHS symposium, donor receptions, elected official/program events, including write-up, invite, website content, attendee outreach, and logistics as needed.
- Write, edit and proofread other communications as assigned.
- Manage communications invoicing, vendor payments and contracting.
- Provide general administrative support to Development and Marketing team as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or journalism preferred.
- At least 2-4 years’ experience in marketing or communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as outstanding copywriting and proofreading skills.
- Graphic design skills and experience with Adobe Creative Suite required.
- Expertise with email marketing platforms such as Constant Contact or MailChimp.
- Experience with WordPress CMS for website maintenance preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of SEO, keyword research and Google Analytics.
- Firm grasp on various marketing platforms, channels, and best practices, including social, digital, and email marketing.
- Detail-oriented, proactive and resourceful with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to take direction, prioritize duties, meet deadlines and manage numerous responsibilities simultaneously.
NOTE: All applicants must comply with PHS’ vaccination policy. Effective October 1, 2021, employees will be required to provide verification that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (with an FDA-authorized vaccine).
PHS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, and veterans.