Morrison & Foerster LLP, an Am Law 50 law firm with 17 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Research Analyst within our Research Services department. This role can be based in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Los Angeles, San Diego, Washington D.C., New York City, Boston, or Denver.
The Research Analyst works as part of a firmwide team to provide substantive research expertise for client work and business development efforts.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following;
- As part of a firm wide research team, provide substantive research expertise to support the firm’s practice areas and business development efforts, including strategic research related to markets, industries, and competitors.
- Create current awareness tools, newsletters, and alerts for ongoing monitoring of clients, industries, and events, and assist in operative and timely dissemination.
- Demonstrate strong writing skills and the ability to distill and present research work product in a concise, professional manner.
- Proactively and independently assess research requests and ensure that research meets stated and anticipated needs.
- Under the supervision of Manager, ensure that research services are effectively promoted to attorneys and timekeepers.
- Educate and advise attorneys, paralegals, and staff on sources and strategies for research.
- Provide assistance in collection development and maintenance and library space utilization.
- Participate on projects that increase the value of research services to the Firm.
- Develop project management skills and lead projects.
- Track and record billable and non-billable time spent providing research services to Research Services patrons according to the Firm’s billing policy. Close timenotes on a daily basis.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Science or equivalent degree such as a J.D. or an M.B.A. strongly preferred plus a minimum of three years related experience, preferably in a large law firm setting, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Substantive knowledge of the legal materials and research platforms used to support the Firm’s practice areas and research needs for client work and for business development efforts.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships.
- Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to analyze problems logically and methodically and to absorb and synthesize large amounts of data into practical intelligence.
- Strong writing skills and ability to exchange information and to present ideas, report facts and convey information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments and with all levels of personnel and to succeed in a teamwork environment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to manage workload effectively and meet all stated deadlines.
Who We Are
At Morrison & Foerster, our culture is defined by our deeds. We’re passionate about what we do. We’re equally passionate about how we do it. We resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect — for our colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make us stronger. We encourage you to learn more about who we are, and what we do.
Should you find you’re ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!
FOR DENVER APPLICANTS:
Employees can expect to be paid a salary of approximately $80,000 to $115,000. Additional compensation may include a bonus. Other benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, PTO, sick leave. The salary (or range) displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for this role, and may vary based on market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors