Morrison & Foerster LLP, an Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Business Development Manager (Pitch Hub) within our Marketing Group in our San Francisco, Denver, or New York offices.
Guided by marketing department objectives and priorities, manages firmwide proposal services and staff, collaborating closely with attorneys and business development managers to create new content and develop customized pitch materials and responses to all types of RFP/RFI questionnaires. Identifies strategies to best position the firm and create original, client-focused proposals. Develops content management and reuse strategy to increase efficiency of the proposal and pitch production and ensures the use of the best platforms and technologies to produce, maintain and track proposals and pitches. Owns MoFo Experience Management Matter Tracker (MMT) program and integrates MMT with BD. Collaborates with other business development and marketing managers in other groups and offices, staff, and vendors to ensure effectiveness and attain synergies for all business development programs. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of the position.
Marketing Proposal Development and Process
- Manage proposal generation services and staff, coordinating closely with marketing, attorneys, and other stakeholders to align the function with department strategies and objectives.
- Advise attorneys and practice group business development managers on optimal strategies for the preparation of complex pitches and RFP responses, demonstrating the ability to match the client needs with any given practice’s capabilities and value-add. Execute pitch and RFP strategies based on consultation and collaboration with attorneys and business development managers.
- Manage preparation of response materials for proposals, customizing and creating content as needed. Delegate tasks as appropriate. Set and manage standards to ensure pitches/RFPs, etc. are flawlessly prepared, timely, accurate, and reflect best content possible. Maintain ownership over all materials and work product produced by Proposal Team.
- Continuously develop relationships with stakeholders and Marketing managers and staff to meet objectives though seamless collaboration among practices, offices, and time zones.
- Set objectives for continually improving the pitch processes; implement and project manage changes including product development, testing, internal buy-in and review, communications, etc.
- Manage outside vendor relationships and outside product development to enhance pitch/RFP response capabilities.
- Manage tracking and maintenance of pitch/RFP data and metrics; periodically report results to business development senior management.
- Participate on major, complex projects that increase the value of business development and marketing services to clients, attorneys, timekeepers, and the Firm.
MoFo Experience Management Matter Tracker (MMT)
- Manage MMT application, services and staff, including creating content and ensuring content supports Marketing strategic objectives. Collaborate closely with partners and other primary sources to collect data and refine data presentation to meet objectives, and current/future needs. Ensure consistency of data content throughout MMT.
- Advise Business Development Managers and others in selecting content to meet strategic needs and to ensure pitches, RFPs, etc. are effectively targeted and present the best on‑point matters possible.
- Develop and set protocols for content fields and data presentation; collaborate closely with other content originators to ensure data consistency and integrity in MMT.
- Ensure MMT continuous improvement and collaborate with stakeholders to enhance MMT capabilities.
- Integrate MMT with pitch process ensuring consistency and accuracy of data across platforms.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Extensive experience developing, maintaining, and operating advanced knowledge management systems.
- Five or more years of professional services business development and/or marketing experience; law firm experience highly preferred.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
- Excellent writing skills required. Ability to focus written materials to ensure impact on general business, legal, and niche populations.
- Highly motivated, with a commitment to taking ownership and responsibility.
- Driven to create the highest quality, error-free work product.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to train and mentor staff in the pitch and RFP development process.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong business acumen; the ability to recognize business development opportunities and to pursue them strategically.
- Ability to assess information, anticipate issues and outcomes, and make effective decisions.
- Ability to assess client needs and develop responsive solutions.
- Ability to manage multiple requests, assess priorities, and achieve solutions under deadlines.
- Talent for creating client satisfaction; demonstrated ability to focus on the client value in all work.
- Flexibility and willingness to work hours needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to keep confidential any information, observations, or viewpoints regarding Firm business matters.
Who We Are
At Morrison & Foerster, our culture is defined by our deeds. We’re passionate about what we do. We’re equally passionate about how we do it. We resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect — for our colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make us stronger. We encourage you to learn more about who we are, and what we do .
Should you find you’re ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!