Fine Woodworking is the leading source of information and inspiration for passionate woodworkers who aspire to be better at the craft they love. We are looking for a dynamic, motivated assistant editor who can help us build and deepen relationships with our readers and website members by creating compelling print and digital content that informs and delights. You'll work directly with prominent woodworkers in developing manuscripts and travelling to their shops to shoot photos and videos of their work. We want someone with new and interesting ideas that will help us broaden representation in the craft and create inspiring and informative content.
Our ideal candidate is organized and driven to experiment while maintaining the high-quality content that is the hallmark of the Fine Woodworking brand. The position is based in Newtown, CT, and we offer a flexible office environment, including working remotely or having a combination of remote and in-office work.
- Work with authors and art department to create content—in print and online. Be a front-line player in moving print articles from raw manuscript to layout, and in being a creative influence behind video and other online content. Must be deadline oriented and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Be aware and supportive of the brand’s business objectives. Be adaptable to changing business needs and content distribution methods as technology evolves.
- Be active in the FWW social media environment, posting, finding content and sharing with Digital Brand Manager and Social Media Editor.
- Seek and develop article proposals from outside authors, and byline articles as needed.
- Work with Creative Director and Deputy Editor to develop content, from start to publication.
- Work with Creative Director to develop visuals for articles, from photos to illustrations.
- Travel to photograph processes for technique and project content (print and digital).
- Be a brand ambassador, attending woodworking shows and events as needed, and assisting with Fine Woodworking’s live events as needed.
- Appear in videos and on the podcast as needed.
- Have at least two years of experience in creating content across a variety of media, such as print, online, and social media platforms.
- Be deadline oriented while juggling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Must have strong writing and editing skills, preferably related to print and online media.
- Must have experience using MS Office, and knowledge of digital tools.
- Must have personal woodworking experience and an understanding of basic concepts and techniques.
- Experience with photography and video.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.