Black Health Advocacy Organizer
Missouri Faith Voices, a Faith in Action Federation, is a multi-faith, multiracial, non partisan, statewide Black led grassroots org that is committed to working toward racial equity, the liberation of Black people and other people of Color and dismantling white supremacy. This is achieved by using a faith based community organizing model that centers the political education and leadership of those most impacted by the issues.
The organizer should have a passion for people and a deep understanding of the racial and health inequities experienced in the Black community. In addition, also be comfortable researching and translating that into relatable community meetings, webinars, social media engagements, our effort to uplift the mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and physical impact of health care deserts in rural and urban Missouri in the wake of the pandemic. The preferred applicants are current or recent residents of Missouri who are familiar with the social, political and geographical landscape of the state. If currently living outside of the state it would be a requirement to relocate back to Missouri (at the applicant’s expense) within 6 months of accepting the job.
The ideal candidate should be firmly grounded in anti-racist practices and critical race theory, have strong community organizing expertise, be excited at the prospect of growing with our organization, and welcome the opportunity to be a thought partner and team member to a small but exceptional staff. This position requires a self-motivated individual, who takes initiative, likes leading and working on a team, can maintain multiple responsibilities, prioritize and manage information and tasks in a fast-paced organization.” A candidate for this position should be grounded in their spiritual practices as a way of life.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Job will focus on organizing primarily Black and other communities of Color to ensure that there is equity and community representation in the implementation of Medicaid Expansion, in COVID relief plans and distribution of services as well as other access to healthcare.
- It is expected that 65% of time will be spent outside of your home region as well as occasional out of state travel for professional development
- Candidate will work on a team with other community organizers across the state, with multiple state and sometimes national partners.
- Candidate will work with grassroots community members, college students, grass top leaders including elected officials and faith leaders.
- Candidate will be required to plan and execute organizing plans that center community leadership that is also informed by research and data
- Candidate will be the subject matter expert for the staff and often with other partners on Black Health Care inequities, implicit biases and the impact on Black Missourians and health care delivery systems in Missouri.
- Ideal candidates will have an existing knowledge and interest in social determinants of health in underserved communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in community organizing, public health, sociology, social work, political science, African American Studies or related field;
- Prefers dxperience in community organizing/community engagement, campaign work, or other forms of direct outreach in the Black community.
- Excellent communication and project management skills;
- Should be comfortable building relationships with community members including and especially those most impacted by racial inequities including the formerly incarcerated, clergy and other leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Web-Based Office Suite;
- Proficiency in use of technology and an aptitude for data based tools and software.
- Must be an effective oral and written communicator
- Must be able to work remotely and or independently
- Must be a registered and active voter.
- Must work well without constant supervision and be able to adhere to multiple deadlines.
- Must be able to learn or have experience using CRM databases and VAN.
- Job will require statewide travel, the candidate must have access to reliable transportation (post pandemic)
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time exempt position that offers a salary in the low to mid $40K’s based on experience, medical insurance and other benefits including paid vacation and holidays.
All applicants must apply for this position online via organizingcareers.org. Please have the following documents ready to upload to your online application:
- An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) ready to be uploaded with your online application.
- A cover letter that includes the names, positions and contact info for 2 professional references
- Two letters of recommendation
- If a recent college graduate, your transcript or proof of degree conference.
- Friday, April 23, 2021
- All interviews will be virtual.
- The projected start date will be early May, 2021. This is a grant funded position guaranteed for 30 months.
If you need assistance or experience any technical difficulties with your online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will not be accepted via this email address.
FAITH IN ACTION provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, FAITH IN ACTION complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.