Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Chief
This position directs a staff of sworn and non-sworn personnel in the delivery of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) utilizing practices, principles and techniques associated with pre-hospital emergency medicine. Provides department oversight of administration, operations, communications, staffing, mass casualty/disaster management, data collection and analysis, and records management.
The EMS Chief duties will include, but not be limited to:
The City of Virginia Beach, VA. Virginia Beach, (population 450,000) is a AAA rated, independent City established in 1963 by the merger of Princess Anne County and the City of Virginia Beach. It has consistently been ranked as one of the safest metropolitan cities in the country when compared to cities over 300,000 in population.
For additional details and benefits associated with this position, click here to view the promotional hiring brochure for the EMS Chief.
Note: As a City Manager appointee, this position serves at the pleasure of the City Manager and is not considered part of the merit service as defined in City Code, section 2-75.
Official City Job Description:
A Master’s degree in Emergency Medical Services, Public Administration/Business Administration, or similar program and six (6) years senior leadership/executive experience, or higher level education and experience equivalent to twelve (12) years in fields utilizing the knowledge, skills and abilities.
Must have a current and valid driver’s license.
Current Virginia or National Registry Paramedic certification.
Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and remain classified as fit for employment as a Paramedic by the Occupational Health Office.
Must refrain from using all tobacco products on and off the job.
Positions within this class will require work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
Individuals must successfully complete a Paramedic orientation program within one hundred twenty (120) days of hire date.
DMV Transcript: Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: Resume and Cover Letter
* Master's Degree in Emergency Medical Services, Public, or Business Administration
* Pre-hospital leadership experience in a combination service with extensive experience working with volunteer emergency medical services personnel.
* Extensive knowledge of strategic planning principles
* Extensive experience in program management
* Knowledge of city, state and federal codes and statutes relevant to emergency medical services.
* Extensive knowledge of regional EMS and health care systems.•
* Knowledge of emergency management and disaster planning techniques.
* Knowledge of municipal budget processes.
* Knowledge of basic research techniques and statistical methods.
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal government, the Council/Manager form of government.
* Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, volunteers, supervisors, managers, city officials, the media, supporting agencies and the general public.
* Ability to communicate effectively through a host of different modalities.
* Ability to think strategically and creatively.
* Ability to establish a common direction for the department.
* Thorough knowledge of local government organization and operations.
This posting will be "Open Until Filled" , however, candidate submissions will be reviewed weekly. Once the appropriate applicant pool has been established, it will be closed.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
Drug Free Workplace: The City of Virginia Beach maintains a drug free workplace.