The Engineer V will perform a variety of engineering duties of a complex nature (associated with stormwater management, BMP dredging, and mosquito control) which may include any of the following: project management, infrastructure maintenance, designing and reviewing plans and specifications for storm drainage, field engineering and management.
Obtain and maintain Stormwater Management Administrator and Erosion and Sediment Control Administrator certifications within 1 year of employment
**(Position is ALPHA I and is required to work during all inclement weather (flooding, hurricanes, snow, etc.)**
Official City Job Description:
MINIMUMS: Requires a Bachelors Degree from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) approved engineering or engineering technology program with a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license from the Virginia Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers and Landscape Architects (APELSCIDLA) and nine (9) years of progressive professional engineering experience; OR an Associates Degree with eleven (11) years of progressive professional engineering experience AND certification as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) from (APELSCIDLA). SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
DMV Transcript: Not Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: None
• Municipal government engineering experience
• Five (5) years of experience in providing leadership and managerial direction, establishing and achieving divisional goals, attracting and retaining talented employees, acquiring and allocating resources and improving delivery of municipal services.
• Experience in procurement and management of service contracts for municipal government.
• Demonstrated ability to provide effective and efficient customer service.
• Experience in municipal government budgeting, both Operational and Capital Improvement.
• Experience implementing improvements to ensure efficient use of equipment and personnel.
• Experience developing and presenting program presentations at public meeting and/or city leadership
• Performance management experience in large organizations, demonstrating the ability to perform comprehensive reviews of mid-level manager’s ability to achieve goals and direct the performance of their employees utilizing performance management principles that ensure employees are aware of their responsibilities and effective in their execution of assigned duties.
• Demonstrated experience in engineering stormwater management.
• Demonstrated experience with BMP and canal dredging
• Demonstrated experience with mosquito control monitoring and treatment
• Demonstrated experience with stormwater management state and federal regulations.
• Demonstrated experience in planning and managing emergency response protocols for maintaining City services resulting from unexpected outages and/or severe inclement weather events.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
Drug Free Workplace: The City of Virginia Beach maintains a drug free workplace.