The Director of Libraries provides leadership and strategic direction for the Virginia Beach Public Library system and the comprehensive, innovative range of library programs and services to ensure access to accurate and current information and materials to all individuals; directs and manages staffing and staff development, exceptional service delivery, preparation and oversight of the budget, program evaluation, and facilities maintenance; and directs and coordinates strategic long-range planning and policy development.
The Director of Libraries reports to a Deputy City Manager. As a City Manager appointee, this position serves at the pleasure of the City Manager and is not considered part of the merit service as defined in City Code, section 2-75.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Provide leadership, direction, and coordination in the management, strategic planning and long-range goal setting, operations, and initiatives related to the City’s library system and its programs, services, resources, and activities.
• Assertively translate vision and value into actions; build positive relationships and partnerships with customer groups to create and achieve community-wide understanding and support for a broad scope of services.
• Oversee the comprehensive marketing and promotion of library programs and services.
• Lead in the evaluation and improvement of library programs and services to include the analysis of trends and issues using performance measures; ensure resources align with City strategies
• Lead in the research, development, review, and implementation of library policies and procedures.
• Use feedback and input from throughout the organization and provide recommendations to the City Manager, or designee, on library program/policy innovations, changes, and enhancements.
• Represent the City and Virginia Beach Public Library with external agencies and the media.
• Ensure department accountability (e.g., through demonstrated systems thinking, issues and trends identification, and effective resolution).
• Create a work environment that supports and encourages innovation and promotes learning, productivity and positive morale.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Masters degree in Library and Information Science from a school of library or information sciences/studies accredited by the American Library Association, eligible to receive a Librarians Professional Certification from the Library of Virginia and six (6) years of high-level management experience.
DMV Transcript: Not Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: Resume and cover letter
Prefer a master’s degree in Library and Information Science from a school of library or information sciences/studies accredited by the American Library Association, eligible to receive a Librarian’s Professional Certification from the Library of Virginia and six (6) years of high-level management experience OR a combination of education (above high school level) and experience equivalent to twelve (12) years in fields utilizing the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above, including five (5) years in public library administration at the program management or administrator level.
The position will be open until filled. Initial review of submittals will occur for submittals received by Nov. 28, 2021. Review of submittals after that date will only occur if the pool needs to be expanded.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.