The City of Virginia Beach Information Technology (IT) Department is an award-winning organization committed to using technology to transform service delivery for residents, visitors, and other stakeholders. We earned the prestigious CIO 100 award in 2018 and 2019. We have been named #1 among "Digital Cities" in our population category (250K-500K) by the Center for Digital Government four times over the past five years.
The IT Department is constantly evolving to meet citizens' expectations of transparency, innovation, and convenience in the digital age. Our software developers, engineers, analysts, and other team members are reimagining how to make citizen-government interactions more efficient while advancing City operations. As we lead the City’s digital transformation, IT seeks candidates with backgrounds in information technology, data science, business, design thinking, art and more. Your unique insights and approach might just be what we are looking for.
The Business Analyst will work on multiple items simultaneously to include work intake, simple projects and complex projects for multiple departments within the community of interest (COI). The selected candidate will work within the Public Safety Solutions Team for the public safety COI that includes Police, Emergency Citizen Services and Communications, Fire, Emergency Medical Services, the Virginia Beach Sheriff’s Office, the Office of Emergency Management, the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney, and the Courts:
CJIS/PREA Disclaimer: ***This position will provide direct support to the City’s Public Safety departments and will have physical access to public safety buildings and/or access to confidential and sensitive public safety databases. As such, and in compliance with federal regulations and guidelines, City of Virginia Beach IT staff and contractors must receive a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) and may require a Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) criminal background clearance prior to employment and annually thereafter while employed or under contract with the City of Virginia Beach. Automatic disqualifiers related to the CJIS and PREA criminal background checks apply, including but not limited to, US Citizenship and/or minimum ten (10) years US Residency requirements.
There is no working conditions statement available for this position at this time.
MINIMUMS: Requires any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or experience equivalent to eight (8) years in fields utilizing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above and associated with such positions as Programmer Analyst, Business Analyst, or Management Analyst.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
DMV Transcript: Not Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: Resume
• 4 or more years of IT and/or business/industry work experience i.e. business analysis or systems analysis, requirements elicitation, strategic development, testing, deployment of systems, and life cycle management.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to develop technology documents/artifacts to help business units establish capabilities and scope of work for proposed solutions.
• Formal Request for Proposal documentation and experience sitting on an RFP committee.
• Knowledge of all aspects of systems analysis, business process improvement/redesign and re-engineering principles, strategic planning, and fundamental knowledge of financial models and budgeting.
• Customer Relationship and/or Business Relationship Management.
• Recent experience utilizing Business Analyst Body of Knowledge (BABOK) and Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) frameworks.
• Recent experience with IT methodologies i.e. Waterfall or Agile, or similar methodologies.
• Experience performing gap analyses.
• COTS application implementation and support experience.
• Experience performing gap analyses for COTS Solutions.
• Working knowledge of Information Technology Frameworks.
• Experience with formal work intake and elicitation processes.
• Recent experience with Requirements Lifecycle Mgmt i.e. documentation, analysis, elicitation, and specifications.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Business, or closely related fields.
• ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) certification.
• Project Management (PM) experience and any PM certifications.
***Alpha I Status: Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
Please Note: This position will remain open until filled.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.