At MTD Products, we do more than just design, manufacture, market, and sell outdoor power equipment. We are an industry leader driven by a greater purpose to inspire people to care for and enjoy the outdoors. As employees, we foster collaboration and teamwork, drive for results, champion change, and inspire and motivate others to high performance. We value stewardship, passion, respect, integrity, and gratitude. And, every day we build upon the strong corporate culture that makes MTD a great place to build a career.
Founded in 1932 and headquartered in Valley City, Ohio, MTD is a global company known for innovation and award-winning lawn mowers, snow blowers and other equipment for both residential and professional markets. Our family of brands includes Cub Cadet®, Troy-Bilt®, Robomow®, Rover®, and WOLF-Garten® – all backed by our strong network of MTD support focused on uncompromising quality, service and value through advanced manufacturing.
This position is responsible for engineering activities related to developing, designing, and supporting OPE Products. This individual is required to interface with the Product Design Group, Testing, Regulatory, Quality, Product Marketing, and Manufacturing to enhance performance and overall features of our snow products.
- Develop new OPE products to ensure they meet design, marketing, regulatory, quality, and cost requirements as defined by engineering and the organization.
- Manage multiple assemblies and systems while considering multiple design concepts. Weigh the tradeoffs between concepts to determine best path forward.
- Create new, modify existing, and/or review 3D CAD geometry and drawings of plastic/steel components, sub-assemblies, and complex layouts.
- Create, develop, and execute test plans for new product development projects. Works with appropriate teams for input from all disciplines.
- Proactively considers cost, performance, and durability tradeoffs to help meet project cost targets. Gather the information needed to support business cases.
- Evaluate existing designs for product improvements. Improvements may include user experience improvements, cost savings, ease of assembly, warranty reduction, and more.
- Ensure designs meet product specifications at the start and end of the product lifecycle. This will require input to the test plan/s and requests for measurements or data collection through the development lifecycle.
- Execute/coordinate part & group drawing initial release and revisions within CAD & PLM software.
- Execute/coordinate bill of material management within CAD & PLM software.
- Review supplier PPAP documentation for part production release.
- Contribute to multiple engineering projects at the same time.
- Engage with all facets of the Product Development Process.
- Knowledge in New Product Development processes.
- Must be able to work with cross functional team including quality, plant, manufacturing, purchasing, service, etc.
- Experience working with and designing injection molded plastic parts, stampings, and/or die-castings.
- Familiarity with high volume manufacturing processes including fabrication and assembly line knowledge is preferred.
- Proficient with GD&T and stackup analysis.
- Understand the business case concepts that support project approval.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience in using 3D CAD System such as NX.
- Knowledge in using a PDM system such as Team-Center.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Office/Prototype Shop/On-site field and lab testing
- Occasional domestic travel (5-10%). Plant visits to support sample builds, supplier visits, customer demo support, etc.
MTD offers a competitive salary and benefit package that includes 401k, Defined Contribution Plan, Health and Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, paid vacation, and paid holidays.
MTD is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.