At MTD Products, we do more than just design, manufacture, market, and sell outdoor power equipment. We are an industry leader driven by a greater purpose to inspire people to care for and enjoy the outdoors. As employees, we foster collaboration and teamwork, drive for results, champion change, and inspire and motivate others to high performance. We value stewardship, passion, respect, integrity, and gratitude. And, every day we build upon the strong corporate culture that makes MTD a great place to build a career.
Founded in 1932 and headquartered in Valley City, Ohio, MTD is a global company known for innovation and award-winning lawn mowers, snow blowers and other equipment for both residential and professional markets. Our family of brands includes Cub Cadet®, Troy-Bilt®, Robomow®, Rover®, and WOLF-Garten® – all backed by our strong network of MTD support focused on uncompromising quality, service and value through advanced manufacturing.
MTD is looking for a gifted software engineer to help expand outdoor power equipment product conversion from gasoline to battery-electric powered including autonomous operations. The ideal candidate will apply his or her software experiences toward software control of sensors, motion, complex state machines, and IoT.
- Design and develop software for real-time, embedded electronic devices using primarily C/C++.
- Understand the operation of electronic circuit components for use in a real-time, embedded product environment.
- Experience with system and software integration, which includes debugging system level problems with software diagnostics.
- Proven ability to use debugging tools such as logic analyzers, multi-meters and oscilloscopes.
- Work with key stakeholders, develop product specifications and design criteria, ensure all customer requirements are satisfied.
- Collaborate with a cross functional team of engineers in the development of the software and electrical systems.
- Adhere to development processes and procedures. Generate engineering requirements and design documents; author and execute test plans/processes for software verification and validation; document and present results.
The candidate must have:
- B.S. in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related fields.
- 5+ years’ experience of programing experience in C/C++.
- Strong skills in modular design and coding.
- Understanding of software lifecycle, coding standards, and Git based software version control.
- Development in an embedded software development environment IDE’s.
- Experience in embedded systems and microcontrollers (ST or other ARM based processors are preferable), including serial communications (SPI, I2C, CAN, RS232) and digital signal processing.
- Candidate must be pro-active and detailed oriented with solid oral and written communication skills.
- A desire to work in a fast paced and collaborative team to develop next generation electric motor control systems and autonomous systems.
The ideal candidate will have experience with a subset of the following:
- Excellent time and project management skills including task estimation.
- Graduate degree (or equivalent work experience) in robotics or embedded systems.
- Strong experience with motion control.
- Distributed and real time operating systems.
- Experience in scripting languages, Python/Bash, for automated data collection, processing and analysis.
- Agile software development; test-driven development process.
- Ability and desire to work in office setting as well as electronics lab. Willing to work on outdoor power equipment in outdoor environment when needed. Able to lift (up to 40lb), reach, bend otherwise work on and around outdoor power equipment such as lawn tractors, snow throwers and handheld power tools.
- Ability to work outdoors on occasion and lift 35 to 40 pounds on a regular basis.
- The position requires some travel (10%), primarily domestically with some international travel.
MTD offers a competitive salary and benefit package that includes 401k, Defined Contribution Plan, Health and Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, paid vacation, and paid holidays.
MTD is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.