SENIOR RESEARCH SPECIALIST/Research Specialist
USAID Learns Contract
About Social Impact:
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity-building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
SI is implementing the USAID/Vietnam Learns Contract. The scope of the five-year project is to support USAID/Vietnam staff and partners to implement more efficient, effective, and transparent programs by improving: (1) USAID and Implementing Partner (IP) capacity to achieve expected results; (2) USAID’s understanding and tracking of project performance; and (3) collaboration, learning, and adapting (CLA).
SI is seeking a full-time Senior Research Specialist or Research Specialist * depending on the qualifications of the candidate selected to support the planning and implementation of studies, assessments, and performance evaluations conducted for USAID/Vietnam . The Specialist will also support ongoing learning efforts across the Mission. This position is full-time, based in Hanoi, Vietnam, and reports to the Research Director. The position will provide supervisory support for consultants but will not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
*Please note: This post is open for candidates living in Hanoi, Vietnam .
Manage Study, Assessment, and Evaluation Implementation
- Manage, coordinate, and facilitate studies, assessments, and evaluations across USAID/Vietnam portfolios.
- Scope new research efforts, ensuring that the scope is clear and feasible with a clear use for the research.
- Recruit consultant teams to conduct research assignments.
- Manage research workplans and timelines, and the consultant teams to ensure timely and quality deliverables.
- Manage and coordinate quality control process to ensure that research deliverables meet USAID’s and SI’s standards and expectations.
- Organize meetings, events, interviews, travel, and other data collection events and capture notes from events.
- Lead communications with and engage USAID, government partners, implementers, and stakeholders for collaborative inputs in the design, implementation, and utilizing researches’ findings and recommendations.
- Guide research teams on research design, implementation, data collection, reporting, and utilization.
- Develop research briefs and products based on full reports.
- Cultivate long-term relationships with government counterparts, researchers, and stakeholders to foster willingness to engage in research activities over time.
- Ensure high quality of consultant work and mentor to improve quality as needed.
- Identify risks and risk mitigation strategies, and address challenges and obstacles in conducting research assignments.
- Directly participate in or conduct research activities where and when appropriate.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Research Director.
Support USAID and Stakeholder Learning and Use
- Promote learning and research utilization by planning and organizing after-action reviews and utilization-focused learning events for research assignments, and improving knowledge management.
- Build USAID capacity to link research evidence to decision making, design, and adaptive management.
- Make research results user friendly and easily accessible through the development of learning briefs, knowledge management systems, events, etc.
- Track evidence use by USAID and other stakeholders and report on Learns’ performance indicators related to evidence use and collaboration.
- Encourage ongoing learning and reflection in the implementation of research assignments.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Research Director
- A Master’s degree in international development, research, social sciences, public health, public policy, or related fields.
- About 10 years of experience in conducting and managing research assignments.
- Technical skills and work experience ideally include:
- Work in the field of research and evaluation of development programming.
- Experience coordinating, conducting, and/or managing research using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodologies and their practical applications.
- Familiarity with utilization-focused evaluation a plus.
- Familiarity with the USAID development programming strongly preferred.
- Required coordination and management skills
- Must have exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to organize, manage, prioritize, and follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Proven capacity to take initiative and willingness to learn new skills as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with client and partner organizations.
- Fluency in English required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel, is required.
The closing date for application: October 31, 2021. Selection and interviews will be performed constantly and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply, please merge both your CV and a cover letter (one-page briefly outlining your qualifications, motivations for applying) into one pdf file and submit it through the online portal.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: 31Thttp://www.socialimpact.com 31T
SI is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.