Note : Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful and relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Want to work at the intersection of impact and business? Looking for a team with big ideas and bold ambitions? Interested in accelerating your career, and getting further faster by working at a scalable small business?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm creating a better future for small business. We have audacious goals, and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the engines of inclusive growth in underserved markets. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street mobilizes capital, customers, and capabilities to small businesses and entrepreneurs that have been systemically held back. We work with foundations, government, corporations, and CDFIs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We equip our clients with strategies and tools to advance small businesses and deliver a more inclusive US economy.
We are an anti-racist and anti-bias institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
Next Street is hiring a passionate and creative leader to strengthen and scale our People + Culture function. Our firm creed is “Mission + People.” We are a people-driven business and invest heavily in the growth, engagement and diversity of our teams. We are at a thrilling inflection point in the firm’s trajectory. Our headcount has grown about 40% this year and will keep a similar pace of growth over the next few years. We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader excited to take our People + Culture function to the next level, strengthening our people infrastructure and creating flexible processes and culture that will grow with the firm. Your work will catalyze our biggest asset: our people.
You will have the unique opportunity to set the vision and strategy for the evolution of function, with partnership and endorsement from senior leadership on day one. We have created a unique culture that makes Next Street a very special place to work and are excited for a new leader to build off this powerful foundation. In your role, you will have autonomy to experiment, implement best practices and continuously improve what exists today. Your day-to-day work will be concentrated in these main areas: (1) strategy and functional leadership, (2) recruitment and onboarding, (3) professional growth and development and (4) culture and engagement. This role will report to the Chief of Staff (Partner) and have the support of the HR and Operations Coordinator.
Join us and you will get to create an industry-leading, mission-oriented culture, while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Strategy + Function Leadership
- Set forward-looking vision and strategy for the role, outlining priorities, processes and resources to support the firm’s strategy and growth
- Oversee the strategy and delivery of an exceptional employee experience, which contributes to Next Street’s secret sauce – it’s culture; conceptualize and execute initiatives to reinforce our company values and cultural attributes
- Partner with Next Street’s business line leadership to cultivate and implement strategies related to talent management
- Lead Next Street’s Antiracism efforts in partnership with the Management Team and Inclusive Impact Committee; develop strategies to deepen our antiracism practices and increase diversity, equity, and inclusion within the firm
- Facilitate and inform decisions around the evolution of Next Street’s operating model and organizational structure
Recruitment + Onboarding
- Identify and evolve Next Street’s talent pool and capabilities to support our firm-level strategy and its sustainability over the long-term
- Develop recruitment strategies to build renewable pipeline of high-quality talent and scalable interview processes
- Oversee new hire onboarding processes and tools
- Build the firm’s talent brand to attract diverse, top-tier candidates across all roles and levels
Professional Growth + Development
- Conceptualize and execute trainings, building off our nascent approach and laying the foundation for a best-in-class training and leadership development function
- Identify and create growth opportunities for staff, manager/leader development, and team effectiveness
- Oversee and execute annual and mid-year performance management processes
- Manage day-to-day resource management processes that support employee growth, including project staffing and employee coaching
Culture + Engagement
- Reinforce Next Street’s values and strengthen Next Street’s culture across multiple teams in a hybrid work environment
- Develop and execute strategies to deepen employee engagement and maintain high retention levels over time
- You have a bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of professional experience in related roles and/or industries (note: direct people or human resources expertise not required, but you must articulate what transferrable experiences you have in your cover letter)
- You are passionate about people and creating thriving, supportive cultures
- You are committed to antiracism and imbue that throughout your work
- You enjoy considering what makes people thrive and putting structure around that to scale
- You are constantly sourcing and testing new ideas for people, culture and development
- You thrive on being a generalist and can flex in and out of functions
- You can toggle seamlessly between high-level strategy and execution
- You enjoy engaging with and advising senior executives
- You have proven experience ‘working across the matrix’ or cross-functionally
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are looking for opportunities to grow and accelerate your career
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year plus standard federal holidays.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or business or graduate school. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events and office snacks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office. We also make sure that you have the fuel you need to perform your best every day.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.