Note : Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful and relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Want to work at the intersection of impact and business? Looking for a team with big ideas and bold ambitions? Interested in accelerating your career, and getting further faster by working at a scalable small business?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm creating a better future for small business. We have audacious goals and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the drivers of economic and communtiy development and the engines of inclusive growth. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street mobilizes capital, customers, and capabilities to small businesses and entrepreneurs that have been systemically held back. We work with foundations, government, corporations, and CDFIs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We equip our clients with strategies and tools to advance small businesses and deliver a more inclusive US economy.
We are an anti-racist and anti-bias institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
We are hiring a high-performing Managing Associate to work across our practice areas – consulting, capital, and small business programs – to codify and scale Next Street’s offerings. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide mix of projects that will create immediate impact for underserved small business owners. Your immediate priority would be working with the Programs practice to develop a digitized next generation curriculum and learning platform that would be based on existing and future market and small business needs. Over time, you would lead projects ranging from developing a first-of-its-kind small business digital insights platform to a best-in-class impact measurement framework.
This role is an exciting opportunity for those looking to use their product development and relationship management skills to create scalable solutions for small businesses. We will give you the opportunity to shape thought leadership and drive innovation, while honing your leadership and relationship management skills at an accelerated trajectory. Your day-to-day work will be concentrated in three main areas: (1) product development and management (2) business development, and (3) firm management.
Join us and you will get exposure to some of the most complex economic and community development challenges in the country, while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Product Development + Management (70%)
- Develop strategy and identify priorities (product roadmap) for codifying Next Street’s offerings, in partnership with Next Street Management Team
- Assess the small business landscape, identify market inefficiencies, and understand Next Street’s core capabilities on a continuous basis to identify new product opportunities
- Lead codification, development, and scale of Next Street’s offerings
- Partner with teams across Next Street to develop products and embed within their business lines
- Identify, evaluate, and establish partnerships to further Next Street’s objectives
- Conduct analysis and develop thought leadership on primary data collected from small businesses Next Street serves
Business Development (10%)
- Identify new business development opportunities with existing or new clients
- Support business development processes, including participating in pitch meetings and contributing to proposal development
Firm Management (20%)
- Contribute to firm strategy; help shape and oversee future vision
- Mentor and coach junior team members
- Participate in recruiting efforts, as needed
- Oversee special projects or take on other responsibilities, as needed
- Contribute to firm knowledge development, codification, and dissemination
- You have an MBA or relevant graduate degree and 6+ years work experience with a top-tier professional services firm or 8+ years relevant work experience
- You have a proven track-record creating innovative, scalable small business solutions
- You are a futurist and have a passion for thinking about what is next
- You love working with teams and creating partnerships
- You have proven experience ‘working across the matrix’ or cross-functionally
- You have experience coaching junior staff
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are looking for opportunities to grow and accelerate your career
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year plus standard federal holidays.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or business or graduate school. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events and office snacks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office. We also make sure that you have the fuel you need to perform your best every day.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.