Note : Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful and relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Want to work at the intersection of impact and business? Looking for a team with big ideas and bold ambitions? Interested in accelerating your career, and getting further faster by working at a scalable small business?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm creating a better future for small business. We have audacious goals, and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the engines of inclusive growth in underserved markets. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street mobilizes capital, customers, and capabilities to small businesses and entrepreneurs that have been systemically held back. We work with foundations, government, corporations, and CDFIs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We equip our clients with strategies and tools to advance small businesses and deliver a more inclusive US economy.
We are an anti-racist and anti-bias institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
Next Street is looking for a Head of Advisory to lead its Advisory practice, the firm’s flagship business line. Next Street’s Advisory practice was established in 2005 and has advised marquee clients such as the Obama Foundation, JPMorgan Chase Foundation, City of Columbus and Walgreens. The Head of Advisory would serve as a trusted advisor to the firm’s high-profile clients, develop and execute the strategy for the practice and lead a team of 10-15 consulting professionals.
This is a thrilling opportunity for an experienced consulting leader who is passionate about solving big problems, small business and inclusive economic growth and is looking for an opportunity to manage a business line. You will also be a leader of Next Street and have significant opportunity to help shape and drive Next Street’s next phase of growth. Your day-to-day work will be concentrated in three main areas: (1) client engagement (2) practice and firm management, and (3) business development. Join us and you will get to develop solutions to some of the most complex economic and community development challenges in the country, while leading an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Client Management & Delivery (40%)
- Serve as trusted advisor to senior executives at Next Street’s priority accounts; cultivate long-term relationships with clients, beyond the bounds of a project, and identify opportunities for follow-on work
- Oversee 3-5 active client engagements; provide strategic oversight to projects; scope engagements, provide direction to project teams and mitigate obstacles to ensure project delivery exceeds client expectations
- Manage project delivery team members; proactively create opportunities for team to meet development goals and ensure delivery is in line with firm delivery standards
- Provide subject matter expertise and innovative thinking to enhance client recommendations and strengthen the firm’s point of view
- Collaborate across offices, business lines and levels to leverage the firm’s assets to advance client solutions
Business Development (30%)
- Originate new sales, drawing on existing relationships and firm network, to meet individual origination targets in support of the firm’s annual revenue targets
- Partner with the Management Team to determine priority audience and offering areas to focus business development efforts
- Identify and sell into potential new audiences and offerings that complement existing firm focus areas and fit with Next Street core capabilities
- Monitor market trends to understand evolving client needs and proactively design solutions to drive new sales offerings
- Drive marketing and networking opportunities in support of business development objectives (e.g., conference attendance, publication of thought leadership)
- Oversee and draft compelling, high quality proposals, with support from the Business Development team, as well as strengthen the business development capabilities of the Advisory leadership team
Firm & Advisory Practice Management (30%)
- Set direction for the Advisory practice and budget while identifying opportunities to advance Next Street’s mission and strategic priorities
- Lead team of 10-15 consulting professionals; set priorities for performance management, growth opportunities, skill development, recruiting and team engagement
- Manage 2-3 direct reports; responsible for performance management, coaching, and development
- Manage Advisory practice profitability, and ensure effective use of firm resources, including practice staffing processes
- Set priorities for codification and development of firm’s Advisory offerings
- Proactively partner with Programs and Capital Markets teams to identify points of intersection and collaboration
- Lead knowledge development and dissemination throughout the firm and externally
- You have an MBA or relevant graduate degree and 12-15+ years’ work experience with a top-tier professional services firm, with a preference for a consulting firm
- You love client services
- You are excited by a consultative and solutions-first sales and client delivery approach
- You have experience leading teams
- You have experience managing a P&L within a professional services firm
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are committed to advancing racial equity through your work
- You are looking for opportunities to grow and accelerate your career
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package for mission-driven work. Our total reward package includes:
- Health insurance (NXST covers 75% of medical and dental premiums and 90% of medical deductibles through our employer funded HRA)
- Paid time off - we give our team members 20 days of paid time off; 2 days for volunteer time; 3 days of bereavement leave and standard federal holidays per year
- Paid parental leave
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Annual professional development stipend
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions, including volunteering for causes you care about.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in sponsoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or beyond. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.