Why Next Street?
Want to work directly with small businesses, helping them recover from the pandemic and thrive? Want to work at a mission-driven firm with significant growth opportunities and passionate colleagues?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm creating a better future for small business. We have audacious goals and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the drivers of economic and communtiy development and the engines of inclusive growth. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street mobilizes capital, customers, and capabilities to small businesses and entrepreneurs that have been systemically held back. We work with foundations, government, corporations, and CDFIs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We equip our clients with strategies and tools to advance small businesses and deliver a more inclusive US economy.
Next Street’s Small Business Programs team provides direct support and high-quality advice to small businesses through innovative trainings, customized programming and brick-and-mortar small business solutions centers. Our Programs team operates NYC Business Solutions Centers in partnership with the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS). Each Center serves as a one-stop resource center for entrepreneurs and small business owners at various stages, from newly launched to established businesses. The Centers offer an array of free services such as courses, financing assistance, legal counseling, staff recruitment and training, and M/WBE certification. Each year the Centers serve over 5,000 businesses. This role will be part of our dedicated Business Solutions Centers team.
We are an anti-racist and anti-bias institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/ .
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
We are looking for a passionate and self-motivated Account Manager to work directly with small businesses, providing them with one-on-one support, training and connecting them to resources. You will have the opportunity to work with hundreds of small businesses a year, helping them navigate the challenges of the pandemic to become more resilient and thriving. Your work will have a direct, immediate impact on the small businesses.
You will have the opportunity to help shape the support we provide to small businesses, equipping them with the knowledge needed to stabilize or grow their business. We will give you ample responsibility from day one to work directly with small businesses. Join us and you will get to create an immediate impact while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Your work will consist of:
- Deliver the NYC Business Solutions set of services to businesses to ensure the Solutions Center is regularly exceeding goals set by NYC Department of Small Business Services and Next Street leadership
- Engage with a wide range of small businesses to understand their needs and make recommendations for the types of resources and services the City can provide these businesses to help them be successful
- Design and develop learning and development workshop content and tools for small businesses
- Facilitate and present webinars for small business owners to provide them with relevant trainings and resources
- Use a relationship driven approach to maintaining long-term relationships with high potential, scaling business clients
- Serve as a connector for clients to services and other resources
- Deliver a Business Solutions service line (such as MWBE certification, Courses and Training or Legal Assistance) to small businesses with excellence
- Support Center’s marketing efforts and drive business development to attract, cultivate and retain clients as well as other key stakeholders
- Engage community-based organizations, community boards, BIDs, and other relevant stakeholders interested in engaging businesses and improving the access that they have to support services
Center Management & Operations
- Design surveys and manage program performance and impact data processes; perform prompt data entry after service delivery
- Prepare program impact reports for clients, funders, and other key stakeholders
- Respond to all customer inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner, in accordance with quality assurance best practices and Center standards
- Provide feedback to team members, the Center Director, Next Street management and SBS to improve ability to achieve outcomes and provide high-quality services
- Collaborate across Next Street teams to ensure our client’s strategic, financial, and organizational needs are met and learnings are shared
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years working with entrepreneurs or small business owners
- You speak Spanish (business conversant)
- You are passionate about small business and have a drive to equip them knowledge in an effective and engaging manner
- You love working towards and crushing goals
- You know how to navigate customer relationship management tools to track outcomes
- You love being a team player and effective collaborator
- You have a strong ability to manage time and projects in a fast-paced environment
- You have an ability to understand an audience and cater to their learning needs
- You are looking for opportunities to owns and build something and accelerate your career
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are committed to racial and economic justice
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year plus standard federal holidays.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or business or graduate school. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events and office snacks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office. We also make sure that you have the fuel you need to perform your best every day.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.