Global Eagle is a leading provider of satellite-based broadband connectivity, television and entertainment services, content and data analytics to aviation, maritime, enterprise and government markets. Global Eagle offers a fully integrated portfolio of rich media content and high-speed connectivity solutions for airlines, private jets, cruise lines, commercial ships, super-yachts, ferries, enterprise, government and military installations worldwide with proprietary performance-enhancing technologies and exclusive access to premium media. With 1,500 employees on six continents and leading global satellite and ground networks, the company delivers exceptional service and concierge support to its customers.
Find out more at www.globaleagle.com.
The purpose of this role will be to track and review all RF and VSAT antenna related escalations. The RF SME will be responsible for analyzing the details of all RF escalations to identify any failures in the support method. RF SME will also determine technical support demarcations in regards to RF/VSAT service issues. RF SME will be responsible for documenting and implementing precision training as deemed necessary.
Responsibilities may include:
- Provide technical leadership and expertise to less experienced engineers
- Promote the development of NOC operators by providing focused training as determined necessary
- Forecasting training needs and recommending appropriate support tools and resources
- Provide expert-level insight into possible technical challenges by remaining current with technology updates and revisions
- Resolving complex RF/mechanical problems as needed in an effort to limit external escalations
- Retroactively troubleshoot technical issues to determine the best course of action to address possible recurrences
- Manage the flow of internal/external escalations by means of documented and approved processes
- Encourage external teams to comply with technical escalation processes through coordination with appropriate leadership
- Keep NOC Manager informed of any failures in technical support with routine reporting
- Serve as a gateway for NOC escalations to field engineering. Adding this gate reduces/eliminates unnecessary field visits
- Provide T4 assist to dispatched field engineers having trouble resolving issues or installing equipment they aren’t completely comfortable with. Reduces occurrences of equipment being installed incorrectly due to lack of understanding, causing additional failures, and revisits
- Reviews all field service reports ensuring problems are repaired correctly. Identifies areas where retraining may be necessary and works with the Training Manager to facilitate. Will reduce the number of revisits by field engineers
- Will provide specific, directed training on complex topics related to installation, troubleshooting, and/or repair of antennas and related equipment. Reduces the number of escalations to field engineering and increases FE proficiency
- Will work directly with QA analysts to identify opportunities for improvement (OFIs) for NOC technicians through the incident update and troubleshooting flow analysis. Reduces the number of escalations to field engineering
- Will work with NOC Manager to create efficient standard operating procedures for antenna troubleshooting, maintenance, and operation
- Formulate corrective actions to address any oversight in NOC technical fault-finding processes
- Promote the likelihood of first call resolutions through guidance and coaching of NOC operators as needed
- Work with NOC leadership to generate a plan of action to effectively decrease the number of external escalations
- Organizing, deploying, and maintaining VSAT platforms and associated components
- Utilize and supervise NOC staff to accomplish complex and involved technical tasks as directed by NOC Manager
- Work with NOC management to enact technical support improvement initiatives
- Work with NOC Supervisors to identify areas of focus in regards to NOC L1 and NOC L2 training requirements
- Produce and implement technical fault-finding & recovery processes that are consistent with customer MTTR requirements
- Contribute to the development of analytics around customer equipment health and usage to improve monitoring and proactivity
- Generating and maintaining technical documentation and FAQs in NetOps Wiki
- Produce Technical Service Bulletins and other relevant technical documentation for Network Operations Center
- Provide technical work direction and guidance to cross-functional development, integration, test and evaluation, and production teams as tasked by NOC Manager
- Fully proficient in set-up, calibration, and maintenance of various VSAT platforms. Including, but not limited to the Seatel, Sailor, Intellian, Orbit, and AVL FlyAway platforms
- Assess new product/technology requirements and develop fault-finding and recovery processes in support of those requirements. Evaluate the effectiveness of these processes and adjust as needed to optimize the approach
- Work closely with counterparts in Network Management, OPS ENG RF/IP, Product, GDC, and Field Services teams
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management
Candidates should meet the following qualification requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, wireless, or microwave engineering.
- Minimum four years of experience in VSAT communications, or 6 years in lieu of applicable degree.
- Fluent in English, other languages are beneficial
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite of programs
- Able to successfully prioritize when faced with requests, demands, and deadlines
- Experience coordinating and managing technical activities with small teams
- Must show aptitude and desire to learn and advance in this technical field
- Capacity to manage and deliver against several initiatives simultaneously
- Facility to prioritize and organize effectively
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Skill to communicate effectively orally and electronically.
- VSAT installer or support background required
- SeaTel, Intellian, or other VSAT Manufacturer Certifications Desired
- Experience working with iDirect, Comtech, Newtec, and Satlink equipment and tools
- Expert knowledge of communication theory and TDMA/SCPC/MCPC standards related technologies
- Strong understanding of engineering concepts, RF fundamentals, RF design, and the operation of satellite communication equipment
- Well versed in RF diagnostic and optimization tools
- Proficient in RF propagation modeling, interference, and link budget analysis is beneficial
- Creative Problem Solver
- Analytical Thinker
- Skilled in Prioritization
- Electronics and/or Computers
- Effective Communicator
- Communicate and Connect
- Deliver Excellence and Own it
- Be Honorable
- Operate as ONE
- Learn and Embrace Change
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious, about assignments.
Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company.
Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others Including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works, to maintain constructive working relationships.
Please note : Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.