Research Manager - Global
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
The Research Manager will be responsible for managing the conduct and dissemination of social behavior change and policy research for the PAC division of Vital Strategies. Reporting to the Vice President, Global Policy and Research in the Policy Advocacy and Communication division, the Research Manager may support one or more policy advocacy and communication global programs in tobacco control, food policy, road safety, among others. The Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the global research activities, which are implemented in multiple countries across continents, are scientifically rigorous. The Manager will support the research writings produced by the division with informative data analytics and data visualizations that appeal to decision-makers, including policy-makers and the media.
This is an exempt position with a salary range of $73,600 to $85,866. This position will be based in the New York tri-state area, and the candidate must have eligibility to work in the U.S. at time of hire.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
· Design and manage the implementation of country-specific social and behavior change (SBC) research and evaluation studies, using qualitative and quantitative research methods
· Design research instruments, for qualitative and quantitative studies, with minimal supervision, including protocols, questionnaires, sampling plans, implementation plans.
· Oversee project implementation, including ethical clearance, liaising with agencies in collaborating countries, trouble shooting and maintaining frequent communication with all necessary staff to ensure implementation of projects of high quality
· Support and/or produce high quality research reports and writings, including informative data analytics and appealing data visualizations
· Maintain quantitative and qualitative datasets for ongoing projects and papers
· Conduct analysis as necessary and directed, using multivariate statistical approaches
· Produce visually appealing data representations for use in reports or other technical writings and for use in the media
· Prepare reports, presentations and drafts of academic papers
· Maintain frequent communication with Vital Strategies colleagues, particularly campaign staff to ensure the relevance of the research
· Liaise with external partners, particularly researchers in the field
· Present findings to Vital Strategies staff and external partners, as needed
Education and Degree -
· Master’s degree in Public Health, Social Sciences (Social Psychology, Economics, Political Science), Marketing
Skills and Abilities -
· Demonstrated advanced statistical skills applied to social science data is required, including multivariate regressions, psychometric analysis; ability to produce high-quality and interpretative data visualizations is desired.
· Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality research writings that may include technical reports, white papers, academic writings
· Experience managing research projects from start to finish
· Knowledge of statistics and quantitative research methods, required; must be expert in using data analysis software like SPSS, STATA, NVivo or Atlas
· Strong communication skills, including demonstrated verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, is necessary; fluency in multiple languages is a plus
· Strong interest in social issues and/or public health
· Must be detail oriented and highly organized
· Flexibility, and ability to work in diverse, international teams
· Self-starter with good follow through and resourcefulness
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, self-directed, strong work ethic and adherence to deadlines
A minimum of 6 years of experience
This is an internal Vital Strategies posting; current employees and contractors will be considered.