Program Consultant, Vietnam
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Terms of Reference:
Title: Program Consultant, Vietnam
Contract Type: Consultancy
Contract Duration: Open
Start Date: December 01, 2021
Application Deadline: October 31, 2021
A new consultant role is now available, located in Hanoi, Vietnam, to support our strategic communications work in tobacco control, road safety, and cardiovascular disease prevention. We are seeking an experienced consultant to assist the Strategic Communications Officer in planning, implementing and evaluating mass media campaigns and advocacy communication designed to support public health policy and achieve health behaviour change.
Scope of work includes providing day-to-day assistance to the Communication Officer in working collaboratively with government and local and international partners advocating for best practices in public health communication, collaboratively planning and implementing effective mass media campaigns, and managing public relations, production and research agencies.
The ideal consultant will have experience with campaigns that support effective policy intervention and generate positive behaviour change. The individual will be conversant with various media channels, including traditional mass media, social and digital media, and earned media strategies. Well-developed skills in stakeholder relations will be seen as an asset.
The consultancy is in the Vital Strategies’ Policy, Advocacy and Communications global team, comprised of people from varying backgrounds, including research, social marketing, public relations and public health. The team has a collaborative culture, clustering people with different skills and backgrounds to execute projects. Vital Strategies’ global team values diversity and multicultural fluency.
• To provide day-to-day administrative and technical support to the Communications Officer in campaign strategic planning and work with government and civil society partners in developing and implementing mass media campaigns at the national level (tobacco, salt reduction and road safety) and city level (road safety in Hanoi and HCMC).
• Manage the project administration (reports) and finance administration (contracts) in compliance with Vital Strategies procedures.
• Assist in liaising with vendors (public relations, production and research agencies) and local partners.
• Drafting reports, presentations, meeting agendas and correspondence with MOH, (inter)national partners and vendors.
• Drafting reports on progress of activities and of developments related to Vital Strategies programs.
• Manage an online archive with all relevant project documentation (BOX).
• Translate project related materials including legislation and technical documents in Vietnamese-English and English Vietnamese.
• Attend to meetings/seminar/workshops/events on behalf of Vital Strategies if needed.
• Contribute to Vital Strategies Newsletters and website.
• Assist in preparation of media and press events.
• Participate in work-in-progress calls with Communications Consultant, Regional Senior Advisor, South-East Asia and in Vital Strategies team calls and international partner calls.
• Represent Vital Strategies with partners and stakeholders.
Consultant background must include:
• University or college degree (preferred) with minimum 4 years of job-related experience in media-based public education, advertising, marketing communications and/or public relations.
• Good understanding of the media landscape in Vietnam.
• Strong interest in public health.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
• Capacity to work independently and collaboratively in an international team environment with solid interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent judgment, strong initiative, hands on and ‘can-do’ attitude.
• Strong oral and written proficiencies in Vietnamese and English.
• Proven strong social media understanding and skills.
• Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Consistent and reliable internet access is required to be able perform this role.
• Current residency in Hanoi.
• Health communication or public health social marketing background with strong administrative skills set.
• An understanding of the strategic process of public health social marketing campaign development, implementation and evaluation would be beneficial.