Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs in the Asia Pacific region are overseen by the regional office in Singapore, which is where this key position will be located. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
The Communications and Relationship Manager is a key member of the Vital Strategies Asia Pacific hub team who needs to balance time and prioritize actions to support stakeholders relations, organizational PR, Vital’s programs, business development and. Working closely with the regional director, and with program leads for specific programs, this role will be responsible for the development and delivery of overall communication, stakeholder relationship and business development strategies, initiatives and programs for the region. The Communications and Relationship Manager will have direct line reporting to the regional director and dotted line reporting to the program leads.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate with the business development core team at the region to develop and implement a comprehensive regional strategic communication plan and business development components for our current and planned programs and initiatives.
- Oversee the management of Vital Strategies Asia regional website and create/manage regional social media platforms. Working collaboratively with the PAC team, draft compelling content including press releases, op-eds, statements, blogs, brochures, media kits, key messages, fact sheets, case studies, & other collateral materials tailored to specific audiences and channels including for business development opportunities.
- Liaison with the Creative Director of the PAC team, oversee the development of design concepts for various regional collateral, guarding the consistency and use of Vital Strategies visual identity and brand.
- Support the regional program and business development teams to develop and deliver key presentations and reports, including grant and tender submissions, helping them maintain strong relationships with external clients, media, partners, and stakeholders.
- Monitor news and industry trends to proactively pitch ideas for stories and articles, including interviews and statements from key management and program team members in the region and at HQ.
- Working with and being supported by the PR director, regional director and external team at Vital, spot opportunities for speaking and thought leadership opportunities, draft pitches, identify and train staff for external engagements, such as through practical media training, in order to increase our reach in front of target audiences.
- In collaboration with the regional director and program teams, support Vital Strategies’ initiatives in the region such as road safety, environmental health, tobacco control, etc, including the assessment and identification of gaps and opportunities.
- Work with the regional director, EH and PAC leads and business development team in the region to identify evidence-based new program areas/opportunities for development based on community needs as identified through currently implemented programs and gaps, that are aligned to the Vital Strategies’ strategic plans and assist in developing significant funding proposals for these opportunities.
- Participate actively in business development team meetings, de-briefing sessions and professional development events and activities.
- Take charge of compiling all regional relationship management and business development related information, such as current and past partners & clients, their detailed contact information, key project outputs (thematic) and potential future opportunities as mentioned/listed in program documents/reports/recommendations.
- Volunteer and intern supervision and coordination.
- Any other duties as directed by the regional director and commensurate within the scope and classification of the position.
Qualifications and Experience
- Communications, health, business development, public relations, regional project management, government, education, or community services.
- Understanding of public health policy development and advocacy process.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing comprehensive communications and business development strategies in the Asia Pacific region.
- Familiarity with/Good understanding of the media and PR landscape in the Asia region, including in Malaysia.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation and delivery of digital marketing, websites, marketing collateral, and other types of print, electronic, and social media, as well as proven capacity in PR and media relations.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing key publications, presentations and reports including Annual Reports, grant applications and experience working with Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and establish professional strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including governmental agencies and international partners.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize competing demands.
- A university degree in a relevant discipline and/or minimum 8 years of industry experience in