Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, Federal Ministry of Health, Ethiopia- Full time, 12-month consultancy
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality.
Resolve to Save Lives (RTSL) is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has worked closely with low- and middle-income country governments, the World Health Organization, academic and other civil society partners to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats and build capacity for and implement a core package of interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease. In partnership with the World Health Organization and Ethiopia’s Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), RTSL has been supporting the implementation of a hypertension control program in 70 government primary health care facilities in five regions and two city administrations since March 2020. In collaboration with implementing partners, RTSL will build upon its healthcare worker training program to improve infection prevention and control (IPC) and make primary health facilities safer against COVID-19 through longitudinal capacity building, supportive supervision, monitoring of key indicators, and data use to guide tailored interventions at the health facility and national levels.
In Ethiopia, RTSL is launching a new joint initiative of its Preventing Epidemics and Cardiovascular Health (CVH) teams to improve overall IPC measures, mitigate the risk of COVID-19 transmission, and maintain essential hypertension care services in primary health facilities and the community
Reporting to the IPC Specialist, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the FMOH to ensure IPC implementation meets national and international standards and to support quality improvement to strengthen the national IPC program. The incumbent will work closely with the RTSL-supported IPC Specialist, seconded to the FMOH, to develop a framework to monitor and evaluate IPC implementation. The incumbent will be responsible for all aspects of IPC data management. The incumbent will oversee data collection, assess and improve data quality, perform data analyses, and provide feedback to Regional Health Bureaus and health facilities to improve IPC performance. The incumbent will also support data use for evidence-based policy and decision making.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop annual work plan for monitoring and evaluation of IPC activities
• Manage IPC database
• Assess data quality and support IPC monitors to ensure regular, valid, and complete data collection
• Conduct data analyses and generate reports and dashboards to support data use by FMOH, Regional Health Bureaus
• Provide feedback to health facilities and Regional Health Bureaus to improve IPC activities
• Lead assessments and research on maintaining essential medical service programs focusing on IPC
• Monitor the implementation of the project capacity building plan (including training, mentorship and supportive supervision)
• Participate in bi-weekly meetings with the FMOH and RTSL to ensure coordination of activities
• MA/MSc in Statistics, Biostatistics, Monitoring and Evaluation, Health Informatics, MPH in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, or related fields
Required Experience and skills:
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in Monitoring and Evaluation of large-scale health and health service delivery and systems strengthening programs
• In-depth knowledge of monitoring and evaluation of Infection Prevention and Control programs
• Excellent report writing, presentation, and communication skills
• Experience in design, development and implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation systems and plans preferably in the health sector
• Experience with data management systems (MS Access, MS Excel, and/or online data collection tools, e.g., ODK)
• Excellent data analysis skills and proficiency in data analysis tools (e.g., MS Excel, SPSS, Stata, R, and/or SAS)
• Proficiency in use of data visualization tools (e.g., Datawrapper, R, MS Power BI, or Tableau)
• Demonstrated experience in collaborating with various types of partners, including Ethiopia FMoH