Special Assistant to the CEO Resolve to Save Lives
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization that strengthens public health systems and addresses the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making, advancing evidence-based public health policies and programs, and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, international organizations, community organizations, academic and other partners in more than 40 countries to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and strengthening capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about us, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/; https://preventepidemics.org/; and https://linkscommunity.org/.
The Special Assistant supports the Resolve to Save Lives President and CEO, Dr Tom Frieden, with a range of programmatic tasks and projects including ensuring that the CEO is prepared and briefed for key meetings, able to track progress against organizational objectives, and responsive to key stakeholders including donors, institutional partners and other collaborators. The successful candidate will collaborate with other members of the President’s office as well as with the Cardiovascular Health and Prevent Epidemics teams. S/he will have the ability to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment contributing to an important, large-scale global public health effort. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
• Staff and provide support to the CEO at meetings and events
• Collaborate with the Executive Assistant to ensure the CEO is briefed on the content and logistics of meetings and events in advance of their occurrence
• Identify action items from meetings and events for follow-up and tracking their progress and completion
• Coordinate closely with staff from the Cardiovascular Health and Preventing Epidemics teams on follow-up action items, informational requests, and initiative implementation
• Interact with external stakeholders, such as implementing partners, governmental and non- governmental organizations, and donors regarding initiative content and meeting preparations
• Synthesize scientific and technical information, such as scientific journal articles, reports, or news summaries related to cardiovascular health and epidemic preparedness
• Manage special projects and assignments, in close coordination with the Manager of Strategic Initiatives
• Provide excellent customer service and timely responses to external stakeholders and internal staff, representing the organization and office of the CEO in a courteous and professional manner
• Perform other tasks as requested by the CEO and/or executive leadership
• MPH degree or related graduate degree in life sciences, with at least 2 years’ work experience
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Proven analytical skills
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Flexible and positive disposition
• Ability to travel as needed
• Committed to serving in the role for at least 2 years