Senior Technical Advisor, Infection Prevention & Control Resolve to Save Lives (12-month, full-time consultancy)
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of low- and middle-income countries to improve cardiovascular health and strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about our Prevent Epidemics initiative, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://preventepidemics.org/.
Background and Role: Resolve to Save Lives (RTSL) is seeking a senior technical advisor with experience in partner coordination, program management, data analysis and use, and preferably with a clinical background to support the global health care worker (HCW) protection program.
As part of the COVID-19 response, RTSL and its implementing partners have trained more than 30,000 HCW in Africa on recognizing and reporting COVID-19 cases, implementing universal screening and triage policies, strengthening facility-based WASH and mentorship, and the use of administrative controls, environmental controls, and personal protective equipment. RTSL works with international non-governmental organizations and community-based organizations in 20 countries as well as regional bodies, including the WHO Africa Region Office (WHO AFRO), Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (ACDC), and the Infection Control Africa Network (ICAN).
This next phase of the project is to make health facilities safer for health care workers and the communities they serve. In so doing, this program addresses individual behaviors and knowledge, facility and institution-level systems and supplies, and data use to inform performance improvements and national policies. These combined actions will mitigate the direct impact of COVID-19 on health care workers, the secondary impact of COVID-19 on maintaining essential services, and contribute to the development of data-driven policies to improve infection prevention and control practices to prepare countries for future communicable disease events.
The team: RTSL has scaled its existing epidemic preparedness and response activities to address the global threat of COVID-19. Situated in the Global Preparedness and Response Team (GPRT), the HCW protection team includes clinicians and public health experts that provide a combination of technical assistance and project management support.
Under supervision of the Director, Global Preparedness and Response Team, the Senior Technical Advisor will provide project management support and direct technical assistance to implementing partners and Ministries of Health on infection prevention control and other project deliverables to increase the safety of primary health facilities. They will also oversee the data monitoring platform at RTSL, which aggregates country-level data for performance management and monitoring purposes, and support the development of learning and training modalities, including the adaptation of guidance, development of training resources, and dissemination of training materials through correspondence with partners and webinars. The postholder will work remotely and on a flexible schedule to accommodate New York or African time zones.
The Senior Technical Advisor will perform duties such as but not limited to:
• Work collaboratively with the RTSL team and partners to adapt and validate best practices for infection prevention and control in low resource settings
• Oversee implementation by country partners in 3-4 countries and address technical and program bottlenecks
• Review technical guidance and training materials from countries and partners, and provide feedback
• Facilitate learning through the development and dissemination of tools
• Disseminate new guidance and best practices as they become available
• Provide direct technical assistance to implementing partners and Ministries of Health on training materials, protocols, policies, and implementation plans
• Oversee data management and strategic use of data for performance management
Required skills and qualifications:
• A minimum of 15 years of global public health experience, preferably with experience in Africa
• Post-graduate degree in a related field (e.g. public health, epidemiology, medicine, or another similar field)
• Experience in infection control in low resource settings
• Experience with program planning, coordination and/or program management
• Fluency in French (native speaker or professional level French competency desired, but not required)
• Demonstrated skills in use of data to inform decision-making and performance management, including statistical software competency (Stata or R) and visualization competency (Tableau, PowerBI, or Datawrapper
• Experience working with global health partners, including Ministries of Health, the World Health Organization, or other non-governmental organizations
• Detail-orientated, hard-working self-starter with a positive attitude