Communications Coordinator - Road Safety
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include cardiovascular health, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. We welcome and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Terms of Reference:
Title: Communications Coordinator – Road Safety
Contract Type: Consultant
Contract Duration: February 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
Start Date: February 1, 2021
Application Deadline: January 19, 2021
This is an initiative of the Public Health Programs of Bloomberg Philanthropies. It will support the city of Guadalajara to effectively implement best-practice road safety activities, including running hard-hitting media campaigns to raise road user understanding of risk factors, training police in best practice enforcement, strengthening data systems and redesigning high-crash, high-fatality corridors and intersections. Vital Strategies is an implementing partner of the Initiative, responsible for the overall coordination of the program. The Communications Coordinator, based in Guadalajara, Mexico, will be responsible to provide media relations assistance within a strategic communication approach to help create public support for strong road safety policies, programs and measures. The Communication Officer will engage journalists, generate media stories, optimize social media, and implement a multi-platform strategy. The Communications Coordinator will also support efforts to run social marketing/paid mass media campaigns that are complemented by enforcement strategies. The position will be embedded at the Mobility Department (Dirección de Movilidad de Guadalajara), with dual accountability to the Department and Vital Strategies.
· Build and maintain relationships with journalists to create awareness and underscore the importance of road safety.
· Create a strategic communication workplan annually, regularly adjust it to keep up-to-date and help execute to maximize the quality and quantity of positive media coverage on the government road safety initiatives.
· Develop and maintain calendar used to plan for local release of important international road safety reports or developments.
· Write regular blogs and social media posts to communicate local progress, disseminate information and contribute to BIGRS newsletter; write press releases and press notes and assist with translations.
· Pitch local and national journalists on relevant news and offer up information sources, thus building relationships with them that can help convene journalist meetings to facilitate conversations around road safety.
· Serve as a resource for BIGRS partner organizations to deliver knowledge and understanding on the local media environment and to help publicize milestones and relevant news on road safety issues.
· Organize press events around major BIGRS milestones as well as social marketing campaign launches.
· Monitor local news coverage and maintain a media tracking list.
· Contribute to curriculum and methodology development for the journalism workshops and fellowship programs, and carry out journalist trainings, oversee follow-up efforts and maintain master list of trained journalists.
· Act as coordinator and facilitator of social marketing/paid media campaigns, working closely with Vital Strategies’ Policy, Advocacy and Communication (PAC) team.
· Manage suppliers including creative, research and media planning agencies, as needed.
· Journalism or Public Relations background
· Excellent communication skills with at least 5 years of experience in communication
· Academic qualifications – at least Bachelor’s level
· Public health and government relation experience would be an advantage
· Familiarity with public policy, media relations and advocacy
· Strong writing and editing skills in Spanish as well as ability to produce written media relations materials such as press releases, talking points and fact sheets.
· Proven capacity to work in multidisciplinary or multi-agency setting
· English language proficiency
· Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
· Residency and valid work permit to work in Mexico.
· Desirable skills:
· Capacity and experience working with Adobe Creative Suite
· Photography experience to document events, happenings, workshops, etc.
· Experience in marketing.