Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and by preventing infectious disease epidemics. Since September 2017, the Resolve to Save Lives Cardiovascular and Prevent Epidemics teams have been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of low- and middle-income countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats and improve cardiovascular health. For more information about us, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/, https://preventepidemics.org/ and https://linkscommunity.org/.
Resolve to Save Lives is looking for a Translator to interpret written and audio pieces from English to French, making sure to maintain their original meaning, format and tone. Translator responsibilities include reading and thoroughly understanding the context of given material, using specialized dictionaries and translation tools and proofreading finished pieces of work. To be successful in this role, you should have a keen eye for detail and be fluent in French and English. (Spanish fluency is a plus) You will also be capable of working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven organization. Ultimately, you will provide ready-to-use translated content that meets our internal needs and helps us reach a broader external audience. This is a 6-month, fixed term consultant agreement.
• Read given material and research industry-specific terminology. Create a dictionary of common terms.
• Convert text and audio recordings from English to French (Spanish is a plus)
• Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
• Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
• Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
• Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy
• Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs • Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure) • Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Skills and qualifications:
• Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role
• Experience with health-related or medical materials strongly preferred
• Fluency in French and English (Spanish is a plus)
• Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors in French and English
• Good knowledge of content editing tools. Proficiency in basic design software (Adobe Illustrator) is a plus
• Familiarity with translation software, particularly Transifex
• Excellent time-management skills, including an ability to work under tight deadlines
• BSc in Translation, Interpreting or similar field
• Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus
• Enthusiasm for the Resolve to Save Lives mission