Director, Data Analytics and Decision Science Epidemic Intelligence Unit, COVID-19 Response
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and by preventing and responding to infectious disease epidemics. Since September 2017, the Resolve to Save Lives Cardiovascular and Prevent Epidemics teams have been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. Working across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple government departments, Resolve to Save Lives supports small teams of health professionals to effectively manage and implement National Action Plans for Health Security to improve capacity indicators across 19 different technical areas and to improve capacity in Emergency Operations Centers. For more information about us and our Prevent Epidemics initiative, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://preventepidemics.org/.
Vital Strategies is seeking an innovative and solution focused candidate to lead a new multi-disciplinary team within the Epidemic Intelligence Unit for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic response. The Director, Data Analytics and Decision Science will lead a new team focused on improving the use of multisectoral data to support improved decision making in emergencies.
The position will apply analytical and technical expertise to help solve, inform, influence, and support improved use of data for decision making in epidemic contexts. The position will conceptualize analytical projects that support improved preparedness and response to epidemic events including building of statistical models, dashboards, and other tools. The position will require the development of a clear strategy and framework to support low- and middle-income countries to improve data pipelines and use of data including training and capacity building activities.
The Director, Data Analytics and Decision Science will also supervise the newly created Situational Awareness team in managing and analyzing large datasets to inform improved epidemic response including behavioral acceptability and impact of public health and social measures for COVID-19. The Director, Data Analytics and Decision Science will lead coordination efforts with multiple partners to ensure cohesion of approach and strategy internally and externally. The Director, Data Analytics and Decision Science will liaise closely with the Resolve to Save Lives digital team on the development and roll out of new technology solutions.
The position will be based remotely, full-time for a period of 12 months with the potential for extension and international travel.
• Develop an innovative and dynamic team that can, inform, influence, and support improved use of data for decision making in epidemic contexts through direct support and capacity building
• Manage large and complex analytical projects from data exploration, visualization and decision-making support in a public health context
• Build capacity of country teams to utilize multi sectoral data to improve situational awareness, epidemic preparedness and response
• Collaborate with a multi sectoral team to develop technical approaches and new or enhanced technical tools to improve the collection, analysis and utilization of data in Public Health Emergency Operations Centers
• Manage multinational collaborative partnerships
• Communicate technical concepts and implications to internal and external partners
• Work collaboratively across teams providing technical expertise in the use of data for improved project performance including in the delivery of direct health care, public health and/or laboratory services
• Develop a clear monitoring and evaluation framework to track lessons learnt and improved performance indicators
• Support the establishment of a community of practice to ensure collaboration and dissemination of lessons learnt
• Perform other duties as requested by the Director and Senior Vice-President of the Prevent Epidemics team
Required Competencies and Qualifications:
• Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Strong organizational, team management and leadership skills
• Deep knowledge of advanced analytics tools and languages to analyze large data sets from multiple data sources
• Solid understanding of health care industry, products, and systems
• Strong communication skills
• Master’s degree or PhD preferred in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Business Analytics, Economics, Public Health, or related discipline
• 15 or more years of relevant, progressively complex experience including managing of multi sectorial teams