Program Evaluation Specialist, US COVID-19 Response Initiative NC
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about our Prevent Epidemics initiative, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://preventepidemics.org/
Vital Strategies has formed a COVID-19 Incident Management System to control and mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus in vulnerable low- and middle-income countries and the United States. Our work in the US is focused on strengthening the technical, policy and operational capacity of city and county health departments to effectively control COVID with an emphasis on vulnerable communities that are disproportionately affected by COVID-19. We are working with a small number of model jurisdictions to demonstrate innovation and document and disseminate best practices.
Vital Strategies aims to recruit a consultant who is best suited to work within our US COVID response team and welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds – men and women, people of all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. We particularly encourage applications from Black and Latinx candidates, given COVID-19’s disproportionate impact on these communities.
The Program Evaluation Specialist will be a member of the Vital Strategies / Resolve to Save Lives US COVID-19 Response Team and will be embedded in Forsyth County Department of Public Health (Winston-Salem area) to support the health department’s COVID response efforts. The focus of the position will be on supporting monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness and impact of COVID-19 prevention and control activities. Though primarily operating as an embedded team member of the local health jurisdiction, the incumbent will maintain a close partnership with Vital Strategies/Resolve to Save Lives US COVID-19 Response cross-functional team of epidemiologists, evaluators, and program consultants for knowledge sharing and to ensure consistency of methods and recommendations.
This is a full-time employment contract for a period 12 months with the employee working remotely until on-site work is possible. Once it is possible to work on-site, the Communications Specialist will be expected to be based at or spend considerable time at the appointed jurisdiction. A very strong preference will be given to applicants residing in or near to Forsyth County, North Carolina.
In close collaboration with local health department staff, provide support within the health department to:
• Use the CDC evaluation framework for public health programs as a basis for program monitoring and evaluation activities
• Support the health department in identifying and creating metrics and tools for measuring the performance and impact of COVID-19 prevention interventions, testing, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine, infection prevention and control, and other interventions and approaches to COVID control
o Compile existing metrics from various sources and create additional metrics, as needed
• Support the health department in planning and implementing rapid-cycle processes for monitoring and evaluating COVID prevention and control activities in the jurisdiction
• Support the health department in analyzing monitoring and evaluation data, tracking objectives, monitoring trends in performance, and developing reports for various audiences
• Identify implementation science objectives and design and implement targeted projects with the health department
• Identify and collaborate with health department and external stakeholders to ensure that monitoring and evaluation activities and reports meet their needs • Produce high quality reports and briefs
• Other duties as assigned
Required competencies and qualifications:
• Master’s degree or higher in public health or other relevant field with 10 or more years of experience
• Experience and expertise in public health program evaluation
• Demonstrated analytical skills
• Ability to work in fast paced environment with multi-disciplinary team and deliver against tight deadlines
• Experience in government and public health practice strongly preferred
• Experience providing technical consultation and support
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively