***Please submit a cover letter for consideration.***
About the National Symphony Orchestra
Founded in 1931, the Orchestra has always been committed to artistic excellence and music education. In 1986, the National Symphony became an artistic affiliate of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, where it has performed a full season of subscription concerts since the Center opened in 1971. Located on the banks of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., the Kennedy Center is the nation’s cultural center and living memorial to President John F. Kennedy.
At the Kennedy Center, we strive to foster belonging and empowerment at work. We are able to advance our mission because of our committed and passionate employees. We are fortunate to be able to leverage their diverse perspectives, life experiences and skills to inform how our workplace can be a safe, transparent, and replenishing community. The Kennedy Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Mission Statement: As the nation's performing arts center, and a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy, we are a leader for the arts across America and around the world, reaching and connecting with artists, inspiring and educating communities. We welcome all to create, experience, learn about, and engage with the arts.
Why Join Us
We offer a comprehensive range of benefits to all full-time employees including:
- Staff offers for discount tickets
- Retirement plan with organization matching (after 1 year of employment)
- Qualifying employer for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
- Commuter programs including pre-tax options for discounted parking and SmartBenefits (WMATA)
- Annual Leave, Sick Leave, and Personal Days available immediately upon hire
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits with FSA and HSA options, and paid FMLA
- Flexible work arrangements
- We like to have fun! Check out the Kennedy Center National Dance Day 2023 staff video!
The NSO Development team seeks a detail-oriented and customer-focused fundraiser to provide foundational support for all areas of NSO fundraising, with a focus on NSO Circles, Major Gifts, and NSO National Trustees annual fund campaigns. This position, reporting to the Director of NSO Operations and Stewardship, includes tasks in the areas of research; database management; meeting and stewardship activity planning; professional and creative writing such as acknowledgments, briefings, formal written communications, and informal correspondence; event staffing; donor stewardship such as ticket processing, contribution processing, and gift documentation; and support of projects led by the Director of NSO Operations and Stewardship or the Chief Development Officer.
The incumbent serves as a development liaison with multiple departments and teams throughout the institution. The Assistant must exhibit an exceptional level of attention to detail, the ability to prioritize their time for both short- and long-term projects, accurately maintain records in a variety of formats, and engage in-person, over the phone, and via video conference with supporters and staff members from a variety of backgrounds and leadership levels. An aptitude for organization and clear communication is essential.
NSO Circles, Major Gifts, and NSO National Trustees
- Assist in the management and implementation of the Circles, Major Gifts, and National Trustees annual fund campaigns:
- Review data and ensure accuracy of renewal materials
- Generate and manage solicitations, acknowledgments, tax receipts, and acquisition appeals
- Assist in the preparation of revenue reports and projections
- Manage office resources and collateral materials
- Assist with requisite benefit, cultivation, and committee activities:
- Assist in the implementation of National Trustee committee meetings and trips; track event attendance and associated payments
- Work closely with Special Events and other NSO Development staff to support donor cultivation and stewardship events
- Generate invitation lists, draft printed materials, and assist with internal approvals
- Contribute to event briefings for institutional and organizational leaders
- Complete appropriate follow-up after each event
- Draft and coordinate multiple types of correspondence, such as acknowledgments, solicitations, and communications on behalf of NSO leadership
- Complete gift-related processes with accuracy and expediency:
- Complete, secure approval, and ensure correct entry for gift documentation
- Update necessary systems and database records to ensure correct recognition, benefit fulfillment, and gift processing
- Assign tasks as appropriate to other team members for completion
- Notify appropriate team members of gift-related details and updates
- Maintain a modest portfolio of donors and complete assigned cultivation and stewardship tasks such as in-person visits at concerts and events, phone calls, and email outreach
- Provide excellent, proactive customer service:
- Solicit and renew donors over the phone and via email
- Respond promptly and with accuracy to all incoming inquiries via phone, email, and mail, and assist the Assistant Manager and Manager with similar needs
- Manage ticketing and/or reservation needs
- Fulfill requests for information pertaining to contributions, such as tax letters and invoices
- Staff on- and off-site events in support of donor stewardship and cultivation
Support for NSO Development Team and Director of NSO Operations and Stewardship
- Support team strategies and projects, such as preparing and distributing a weekly contribution report, a weekly report to the NSO Executive Director, and managing the performance greeting process and schedule
- Provide support to enable the Director of NSO Operations and Stewardship and other NSO Development Team members to effectively carry out moves management steps for their donor portfolios
- Provide direct support to the Director of NSO Operations and Stewardship for special projects and donor requests, travel logistics, and financial processes
Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in a front-facing, customer service-oriented role is required.
- Development/fundraising, writing, and event logistics (or related experience) is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the performing arts, specifically classical music, is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree is beneficial.
- Experience with Tessitura or similar CRM is beneficial.