About The Kennedy Center
“I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.” – President John F. Kennedy
The Kennedy Center is the nation’s cultural center and living memorial to President John F. Kennedy. Located on the banks of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., the Center presents performances across all genres, and is also home to artistic affiliates Washington National Opera and National Symphony Orchestra.
At the Kennedy Center, we strive to foster belonging and empowerment at work. We are able to advance our mission because of our committed and passionate employees. We are fortunate to be able to leverage their diverse perspectives, life experiences and skills to inform how our workplace can be a safe, transparent, and replenishing community. The Kennedy Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Mission Statement: As the nation's performing arts center, and a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy, we are a leader for the arts across America and around the world, reaching and connecting with artists, inspiring and educating communities. We welcome all to create, experience, learn about, and engage with the arts.
Why Join Us
We offer a comprehensive range of benefits to all employees including:
- Enhanced safety protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including onsite vaccination/booster clinics for staff. We have implemented a mask mandate for all staff, artists, visitors, and volunteers.
- Staff offers for discount tickets
- We like to have fun! Check us out - Kennedy Center National Dance Day 2019
Kennedy Center Education Department seeks versatile, energetic AEA Stage Manager for its Equity TYA touring production scheduled for January 2023 – April 2023. Stage Managers receive weekly salary, housing, and per diem. Positions open until filled with interviews beginning September 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Tour TD/Lighting Supervisor, making adjustments to the design and/or performance elements of the show to fit each venue on tour, and consulting on advance questions as needed. Maintaining the performance, including giving technical and performance notes. Serving as a primary contact with venue staff when onsite. Calling the show, distributing schedule information to company, generating and sending a daily report of all travel, rehearsal, and performance information. In conjunction with the TD, organizing and running regular check-in meetings with tour crew.
- As the primary van driver, participate in the shared task of traveling the company to and from venues, along with other company members in turn, and maintaining all applicable paperwork (driver log, trip log, and vehicle condition report).
- Coordinating the use of the van amongst company members when not in use for production needs.
- Communicating with the productions creative team in order to successfully achieve the desired production goals consistently in performance.
- Serving as the primary on-the-road contact for hotels, and coordinating check-in and check-out at each hotel.
- Carrying a Kennedy Center credit card and petty cash funds for tour needs, and regularly submitting receipts to the Tour office.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 3 years of technical theater experience in stage management, general stagecraft, and safe working procedures. Prior touring experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, excellent driving record and ability to drive a 15-passenger van. Applicant must possess excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy weights, and stand for upwards of 8 hours a day. Environment includes working outdoors and indoors and in flexible environments.