The Garden-Ville Store Associate is responsible for assisting customers at a Garden-Ville store.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist with customer service by greeting all guests, asking if they need help, answering any questions courteously and as accurately as possible.
- Answer store phones in a professional and timely manner. Check messages daily and return customer calls within 24 business hours.
- Use the point of sale (POS) system to ring up customers, process returns, process orders, process transfers.
- Operate store machinery, including forklifts and wheel loaders, as needed.
- Communicate to Store Manager when equipment is in need of maintenance.
- Check basic equipment operating parts – e.g., fluid levels, safety devices, air filters, etc.
- Assist in the sales of bulk material and ensure that the customer receives the right amount of the right material.
- Tend to the grounds and take the initiative and communicate with the Store Manager about potential site improvements.
- Keep garden center grounds neat, clean, safe and organized and assist with routine maintenance.
- Put plant and hard good materials away in a timely manner, assist with labeling and pricing and check for accuracy.
- Learn store products and become educated about Garden-Ville branded materials so as to better assist customers
- Communicate with Store Manager when inventory is damaged or in need of replenishing
- Assist in conducting regular inventory audits.
- Set up displays and rearrange store items as required.
- Keep the displays and shelves well-stocked and the merchandise properly priced and labeled.
- Keep outside bagged goods stocked and the area clean and neat.
- Assist with daily custodial duties, inside and out, including sweeping walks, mopping the shop, cleaning bathrooms, etc.
- Comply with company safety policies and with Occupational Health & Safety Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent and the desire to learn about gardening;
- Must exhibit personal grooming and cleanliness fitting for a retail environment;
- Must be customer-oriented and exhibit strong customer service skills;
- Must be willing to take direction and work well with others;
- Must have some problem-solving ability;
- Must have the ability to keep accurate records; and
- Ability to acquire a working knowledge of Garden-Ville products and gardening and landscaping techniques.
- Completion of some college courses
- Master Gardener certification or previous work in industry
- One to three years of gardening experience
- Experience working a cash register or point of sale system
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, e.g. phone system, printers, fax machines, etc.